Sharp Digital Amp impressions????
Aug 16, 2003 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I cound not help but notice that some people here asking for advice on speaker shopping have Sharp Digital Amps or plan to get one.

Those of you who have them......what do you think of them?

(BTW, do digital amps drastically change the characteristics of how a speaker sounds because of the speaker acting as the D/A converter?

Aug 16, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks Wodgy for the thread!

I have been gone for most of the summer, so many threads have gone below my radar.

Let me know how you like the SH111.

(BTW, in the thread people mentioned connecting headphones to the Sharp...are they just using the headphone out?)

Aug 16, 2003 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 11
I believe that Xanadu777 (who has a dedicated Sharp amp, SM-SX1) is using it with a homebrew Joe Grado adapter connected to the speaker terminals (since the SM-SX1 has no headphone jack). I think he also tried connecting the headphones directly to the speaker terminals but there was too much noise and the volume control had to be used at very low volumes, so he went with the adapter.

The SD-AT100 and SD-SH111 have a headphone jack, but I don't think anyone here has received either unit yet.

Aug 16, 2003 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 11
Since you ordered the SH111 Wodgy, I assume you approve of the DSD technology behind it? I thought you were against DSD, do you know something know that makes you think differently?

I know I am digressing....but I believe the main reason why SACD should win the battle against DVD-A is because of DSD Digital amplification. While DVD-A and high bit rate PCM may actually be superior to DSD/SACD, the fact that there is no such thing as a "PCM Digital Amp" makes SACD the better choice, because SACD gives the option to amplify without analog distortion (or PCM to DSD conversion distortion).

Aug 16, 2003 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 11
Strictly speaking, I still prefer high-resolution PCM to DSD. I'm not a zealot though -- I'm willing to give things a try. Especially because the cost was so reasonable. I'm not sure that the SH111 will give me any insight into DSD recordings, since it doesn't support SACD, but it should give me a chance to sample digital amplification. I doubt it will equal a good tube amp, but for the price it could be a nice little unit.

Aug 16, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 11
I am considering getting the SD-EX111...

Aug 16, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 11
well, My NX10 can handle a 2-Ohm load
biggrin.gif
, so I'd say that they are pretty good amps (for the price), but aren't very powerful (50W total)...I had the 4 8 ohm speakers from my Z-560's attached to the right channel if you were wondering, tried it in 2 and 32 ohm combo's
biggrin.gif
...but they had WAAY too much ***** bass, so I had to eq it, but they definetely need a sub to work.

Aug 16, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
The SD-AT100 and SD-SH111 have a headphone jack, but I don't think anyone here has received either unit yet.

Well actually, I received my SD-AT100 about a month ago. They are pretty cheap on Ebay right now and I wanted something fairly small for the office that could play both DVDs and CDs.

For what I paid it is pretty darn good - the original MSRP was highway robbery IMO. Since I use it in a work environment that isn't really all that great acoustically or very quiet it fit my needs perfectly.

While I haven't tried the headphone jack yet I have watched a couple of movies and listened to several CDs at work. For movie watching I was pretty impressed with the composite out (my TV at work doesn't have S-Video or Component inputs). The sound is pretty good - voices were clear and distinct in the center channel. Now, this unit isn't going to blow yer socks off by any means. Listening to music through the speakers I have to say that neither my Pioneer Elite 45tx nor my Stax 4040 Signature System II have anything to worry about. Of course, bear in mind that my work environment isn't all that conducive to critical listening - but I can't compain too much about being allowed to watch DVDs at work
wink.gif

One reviewer thought the SD-AT100 wasn't too bad with the stock speakers. But with upgraded speakers it was very good. I briefly listened to it at home hooked up to my Axiom M22ti's and was rather underwhelmed. It drove them capably but not with much authority. Again, though, the test was rather limited and of short duration.

I don't mean to make the SD-AT100 out to be crap. It has a small form factor for a package that can play DVDs and CDs, is well built and attractive (if you like the shiny silver look), can decode both DD and DTS, has a component out, a Toslink digital input and output, and has two A/V inputs. It comes with all the speakers you need for 5.1 surround. For music it isn't bad but it's movie playback is better. If you have little space, not alot of money, and want something that virtually does it all and are not too concerned with critical listening take a look at this unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back