Share Or Describe Your Favorite Recording Artifact
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
An artifact is something that is an unintended consequence of something else.

A sound recording artifact could be a recording mistake, or technical error.

Bass artifact at 2.24

While there are a couple low sub frequency artifacts which just seem to occupy how they tried to fully exploit the lowest frequencies which could be picked up; at 2.24 it seems to be maybe a case which has fallen or a timpani accidentally moved?

So it may be just possible that people with headphones notice recording artifacts more? Yet, for as many as there are.......some are unknown and some are legendary even taking on urban legend status. At first you start to think there were more in the past, yet many can still be found today even with what would seem as a multitude of ways to remove them.

This subject seems to be fascinating for some. Typically though when testing headphones these small sonic blips or hums end as short known bursts which can get memorized quickly and remain one of the easiest ways to judge music reproduction on systems.

That’s how it is. Some systems can reveal the flaws just like using a microscope. The other side of this hobby is finding the artifacts as described by others.

So while this is not meant to be a system contest, at times the artifacts can be heard and at other times......confusion that they even exist at all. Also as always some individuals will be simply gifted with being able to hear the artifacts where others miss them. Some systems are obviously going to better inclined to find them, and finally there will be styles of artifacts which remain in the high treble and some only found in the lowest of lows.

To many that listen to Classical there seems to be a lot of this. To many there will be nothing entertaining here and that cough they have been hearing on a piece of music for 10 or 20 years has now just become ingrained in their music memory as a natural part of the experience.

There is no write or wrong with showing artifacts, with none more important than others. Yet at times you have to guess there was no other choice but to let them remain.

I maybe have about 40 I have found but only hold about 4 or 5 special. At times they are only special as they have been inside a piece of music I’ve known for years, yet only after discovering it now look for it and hear it every time no matter what. As it seems this is part of the psychology of hearing, once we are shown something we never noticed we can find it easy knowing what to look for.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 3
One of my overall favorites. Sounds like a dirty knob or microphone cable at 9 seconds. Maybe a guitar switch?

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 3
At 4.02 the most famous recording artifact in modern music.

Tape bleed transfer takes Robert Plant’s voice and echos it forward into the earlier part of the song.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back