Shakira
Nov 18, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #16 of 24
Thread Hi-jack!

Hey, KR: Do you know anyone who fuses metal and classical well? I've heard of Symphony X and Dream Theater and Elend, but I'm not sure where to start. None of my friends have any of these, so I'll have to buy to try...

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thread Hi-jack!

Hey, KR: Do you know anyone who fuses metal and classical well? I've heard of Symphony X and Dream Theater and Elend, but I'm not sure where to start. None of my friends have any of these, so I'll have to buy to try...

Good luck getting him to see your post. He has not posted here since 2005. Hopefully he will come back.

I like old Dream Theater and The Umbersun and A World In Their Screams by Elend. You should also try Virgin Black; a great mix of classical arrangements at times with metal.

Regarding the OP, my wife loves Shakira (great workout music), but I think most of her music is bad. Easy on the eyes, but her voice... ugghhh...

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #18 of 24
Wow thread bump by 6 yera sdamn.

Jonathanjong, for Dream Theater, I really consider them more of a jazz/metal combination (maybe I just don't recognize their classical influences though, since I don't listen to classical).

My favorite album by them would be either 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Scenes From A Memory, or Images & Words. If I HAD to recommend one, I'd probably recommend Six Degrees, although I've heard it's not exactly a fan favorite.

For good individual songs, check out Space-Dye Vest, Pull Me Under, Take The Time, Metropolis Pt. 1, Overture 1928, About To Crash, Solitary Shell, About To Crash (Reprise), and Losing Time / Grand Finale. My favorite of these songs would probably be Metropolis Pt. 1.

Oh yeah and two (supposedly) epic songs by them are A Change of Seasons and Octavarium. I've never heard A Change of Seasons, but I find Octavarium boring tbh. It does have this ridiculous verse where pretty much a ton of allusions to their musical influences are used.

Check out their offshoot project, Liquid Tension Experiment. That's more influenced by jazz.

I have Quantum by Symphony X and find it sort of boring.

As for Shakira, she is quite hot so yeah. But I actually like her song Whenever, Wherever, a LOT, and Hip's Don't Lie is alright besides the ****ty rapping. I don't know any songs by her besides her mainstream stuff.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #19 of 24
Shakira is better than I thought she would be when a friend lent me some of her DVD's and cd's. She even does an ok cover of an ACDC song. But I have to admit that watching her dance is the most enjoyable part.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 24
I was trying to figure out why these members names looked so unfamiliar...and then I saw the date. Nothing like a 6-year old thread.

And Shakira...what's not to like

shakira109_454b153457680.jpg

...visually speaking of course.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back