Setup Complete ?
May 2, 2003 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
Well, after recieving my new PBJs from JMedeiros today, I do believe my setup is complete. I think I would have to spend a lot more money to recieve a significant improvement. I was wondering though if any of you could suggest any tweaks that I might to try (none terribly expensive however).

Rotel RCD-950 ---> Kimber Kable PBJ (.5m) --> MF X-CANv2 (w/Ault AC/DC) --->
Clou Japis 212 Blue ---> Sennheiser HD600

May 2, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 15
Have you tried some aftermarket powercords?
They do help.
tongue.gif

May 2, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 15
WEll some thing with a money back guarantee come to mind:

1. Walker Audio Vivid CD/DVD enhancer. $70
2. Marigo Cd Crossbow Mat.
3. Marigo VTS Tuning Dots - not for the fainthearted since they cost $69 for 24 dots.
4. Power Cords.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 15
I see power cords in your future. And, possibly a power conditioner if you don't already have one. Maybe a Cardas or Equinox cable?

Around here, your setup is never complete.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Around here, your setup is never complete.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yep, SOMEONE will always find a way to encourage you to spend more money.

May 2, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 15
The trick is not listening to them. You don't want to know what I think of some of your equipment, Peter. How do you like it?

NGF

May 2, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Have you tried some aftermarket powercords?

Power cords to what components? Does a conditioner only have its greatest effect when things such as washing machines or kitchen equipment is on? If that is the case, I usually only listen to music long after the house has gone dormat.

Quote:

The trick is not listening to them. You don't want to know what I think of some of your equipment, Peter. How do you like it?

Personally, I think it sounds great, but I have always thought that. Each time I have added something or made a step up I get the same response however, wow that sounds so much better.

May 2, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 15
What power cords are you using now? The 18 awg stock ones?
Change to some sub $50 power cord will help the performance.
Change the CD player one first, you can hear the difference pretty easily.
I just changed my 963SA stock powercord to VD power3.
And I bought another VD power 2 right after the power3 arrived
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 15
One often reads that the best cheap tweak is cleaning your connectors and plugs. Caig, for example.

May 2, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 15
The power cable on my Rotel cd player seems to be fixed, can it be replaced?

May 3, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

You don't want to know what I think of some of your equipment, Peter.

Yes I do know that there are some better products out there, but being that my total system cost comes out to be around $750, I do not think I did too bad. I do wish though, that I had found this site before buying my headphone amp. Had I come across Headfi literally no more than a month earlier I probraly would have spent a little extra and bought a Corda HA-1 or ASL MG Head.

May 3, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 15
If you want a complete setup, from now on, just visit:
Amazon,
Tower Records,
CD Universe,
DVD Planet,
Home Depot Online, Staples Online, or any xxx site, or any other place that cross your mind, but avoid at all costs to keep on hanging here, otherwise the torture will never stop......

I don't know about the Rotel, but someone may sugget you to replace the Kimbers, for a Cardas Neutral Ref. the amp for an RKV and the HD600 cable with an Equinox or a Cardas, or another more expensive headphone, CD3000, HP1, RS1, then you will need the impedancer, and an upgraded power cable, and .....man, run while you can....GO AWAY MAN!!!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 15
biggrin.gif
Believe me, I know with high-end audio there is no end in sight. My family's recent purchase of a new pair of speakers lead to a new amp, then a new pre-amp, then sub, and now probraly a new cd player. Despite my intense urges to spend more money however, I am realistic to the fact that I had better calm down for a good five years or so. I cannot wait though until I have the money to eventually setup a killer two channel/headphone setup for myself. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could do for now. I do not think I could ever runaway from Headfi however, it really has become kind of a second home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back