Sennheiser RS 180
Dec 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TimmyT

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I just bought a set of Sennheiser RS 180 Wireless Headphones.  I have the headphone stand connected to my Yamaha receiver.  Would I be better off soundwise if I purchased a separate headphone amplifier and connected to that instead?

I am just wondering if I am doing myself a disservice by not having a headphone amp and just plugging into my regular receiver.  I would be just using this to listen to CD's from my CD player.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 4
Originally Posted by TimmyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would I be better off soundwise if I purchased a separate headphone amplifier and connected to that instead?

In short, no.

You are connecting an analogue signal that is being digitised, transmitted and then amplified in the headphones. You might get better sound quality if you plugged the source directly into the base station but realistically the improvement would be marginal due to the long audio supply chain.

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Very good choice! The RS180 will provide you that beautiful, clear and dynamic sound without the need of a headphone amp.  Just plug N play N enjoy the music.

i own Sennheiser RS models starting with the RS130, 170 & 180 and enjoy there spectacular sound quality, mobility and comfort.  

On occasions, when i purchase new audio equipment, i get that occasional urge and experiment with some of my audio gear.  This includes the RS180 mainly to satisfy my curiosity to achieve an improved sound quality.

I discovered, there is no benefit using an external headphone amp with RS 130, 170 or 180.  ( thats a discussion for another date).

I did manage to improve the sound quality of the RS180 to connected to a Fiio DO7 multi-channel TV digital to analog convertor.  Spent $55 on the Fiio D07, it improved the TV sound quality NOTICEABLY!!…. cheapest audio equipment I’ve ever purchased and got a surprisingly fantastic result.  

This is a real … WIN… (fist clenched and elbow downward movement, ….Oh….Yeah!)

The reason why i purchased the DO7?  To enable the RS180 headphones and TV speakers to function simultaneously and indepentanly.  (Previously,  i’d have to unplug the RS180 from the TV headphone jack to get the TV speakers to function).  DO7 fixed this dilemma ….WIN… (fist clenched and elbow downward movement, ….Oh….Yeah!)

Connected LCD TV optical-out to Fiio DO7 optical-in and the RS180 to the DO7 audio jack …..  WOW… a pleasant surprise, the sound quality instantly improved.  Whilst connecting - there was a live coverage, of a tennis match playing on TV.  Toggling the RS180 audio cable between the DO7 and the TV headphone jacks … i couldn’t believe my ears, the sound quality became, brighter, with a whole LOT of depth and detail. i could hear with clarity the racket hitting the ball and a distinct echoing sound when the ball bounced off the rubber surface.  I know, you can’t compare a tennis match sound effects to music! …… But , the music broadcasted from the TV radio station sounds pretty good through the RS180.

At present, i’m researching for other devices similar to the DO7 to connect other Audio & visual equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back