Sennheiser HD800 on the way!
Nov 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD600 vs. HD800 comparison

I spent a lot of time with Shelly's HD800's in order to make a buy decision. I have been on the fence for months.

(snip)

The HD800's are better. Yeah, I know that's a pretty controversial position. I'll back it up though. The HD800's are more detailed, cleaner, and have a deeper bass.

This statement has been gnawing at me for a month. I ordered a pair of Grado GS1000i's after our October meet, but I had some difficulties with my order and I ended up cancelling it. Maybe a blessing in disguise. I now had a four-digit credit on my MasterCard that was burning a hole in my pocket. $1400 plus cable upgrade no longer seemed like such a monumental jump.

I finally leaped off the fence and bought the HD800's. They will be here on Monday along with a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable.
biggrin.gif

I have spent the past month listening exclusively to my HD600's. After the drug that is the Denon D2000 bass wore off, I have come to realize that I like the accurate but less accentuated bass of the Sennheiser better. But I also want the dramatic soundstage that I heard in the HD800 and is missing from the HD600.

I decided that I would never be satisfied with the HD600 as my primary headphone, even though they are quite good with an upgraded cable. Once you have heard the HD800 and realize how effortlessly it reproduces music, it is impossible to forget the feeling.

I will probably look around for a used pair of Grados now because I would still like to own them. Variety is the spice of life. However, I am hopeful that the HD800 will be my primary phone for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back