Sennheiser HD 598 CS Closed Back
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #286 of 290
Appreciate your input. The 80 ohm version supposedly has a little more bass (I think the 32 ohm has enough as it is) and a little less treble. The 32 ohm and 250 ohm are very similar.

Anyway, I’ve gotten the impression that the 598 cs is not very popular, but I may still give it a try if I have a chance. Not to say that it’s bad or anything, I just don’t know how I’ll feel about it until I try it. If I don’t like it I’ll try stick with the 770’s. Aside from what sounds like an overdone treble, they check all the boxes for me and provide great quality for a phone that cost less than $200.

For the record, I got the 32 ohm to be on the safe side as I heard from some they wouldn’t drive well on an iPhone, and I also needed the shorter cable for better portability.
If you have the opportunity to try before you buy or try with a liberal return policy, that is always the best way to go. Reading others' impressions is one thing; hearing for yourself is the best way to go if you can. I'd still suggest auditioning the DT 770 80 Ohm if you can. I vaguely remember something about the 32 Ohm not sounding as good.

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #287 of 290
If you have the opportunity to try before you buy or try with a liberal return policy, that is always the best way to go. Reading others' impressions is one thing; hearing for yourself is the best way to go if you can. I'd still suggest auditioning the DT 770 80 Ohm if you can. I vaguely remember something about the 32 Ohm not sounding as good.
Unfortunately that's my problem, I don't have many places in my area where I can try things. Micro Center sells a limited number of brands but they do have Sennheiser so I might go to try the 569 there. The only other stores I know of are Best Buy or Target or Walmart and all they have are the basic consumer brands. There was a cool little store called Sound Lion that had a good selection but they've gone out of business I think as both locations I knew of are closed. I'm pretty much left with going based on reviews but you're totally right, it's difficult going based on that. Everyone has their own opinion and audio is a personal taste. Even the subject of burn in for the 770's is a topic of debate. I've heard some say it doesn't happen, others say they need 100 hours to smooth out. We will see, if I can't return them I can at least sell them. As I mentioned before, I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting used to the sound signature.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #288 of 290
Unfortunately that's my problem, I don't have many places in my area where I can try things. Micro Center sells a limited number of brands but they do have Sennheiser so I might go to try the 569 there. The only other stores I know of are Best Buy or Target or Walmart and all they have are the basic consumer brands. There was a cool little store called Sound Lion that had a good selection but they've gone out of business I think as both locations I knew of are closed. I'm pretty much left with going based on reviews but you're totally right, it's difficult going based on that. Everyone has their own opinion and audio is a personal taste. Even the subject of burn in for the 770's is a topic of debate. I've heard some say it doesn't happen, others say they need 100 hours to smooth out. We will see, if I can't return them I can at least sell them. As I mentioned before, I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting used to the sound signature.
I hear you. I was in the same situation with lack of stores around me with a good selection. I did manage to audition the DT 770 80 Ohm at a local Guitar Center. Most of the cans I've listened to, I had to buy online and pay return shipping. I just had to accept the fact that I had to pay to play (or try them out). Other options are local meets or finding a trustworthy head-fier from who you can borrow/trade. Maybe see if Guitar Center online, or a similar store, has what you're looking for with free shipping and let you return to a local store.

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #289 of 290
I hear you. I was in the same situation with lack of stores around me with a good selection. I did manage to audition the DT 770 80 Ohm at a local Guitar Center. Most of the cans I've listened to, I had to buy online and pay return shipping. I just had to accept the fact that I had to pay to play (or try them out). Other options are local meets or finding a trustworthy head-fier from who you can borrow/trade. Maybe see if Guitar Center online, or a similar store, has what you're looking for with free shipping and let you return to a local store.
I must say, after playing white noise through the beyers for about 12 hours last night...maybe it’s just in my head but I feel like the harshness of the treble has relaxed a bit. It is still a bright leaning headphone, of course I don’t expect that to change and the treble is still present but the sound is more neutral now it feels like. Big bright cymbal crashes didn’t whack me in the face as much today.

Sorry, didn’t mean to take the discussion away from the 598 cs.

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #290 of 290
I sold my HD 600 because the ZMF Aeolus has taken its place. Needed a cheap closed back for office work or something to easily grab when needed.

Must say the 569 cs isn't bad at all. You get a decent sound. And most of all you get a model / design that's tried and true with cheap cables and pads readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back