Seeking advice on good CD readers.
Aug 8, 2004 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Idiot MD

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know... maybe I just don't know how to word the search correctly but I can't find any information on a good cd reader. My standalones (Philips DVD 751 DVD player and Panasonic LX-H170 LD player) both play fairly scratched CD's rather well, no skips, no pauses, no repeats. But if I take the same disk and play it in my SCSI Plextor 24x12x4, SCSI Kenwood True 52x, or USB2.0 DVD+/- RW I get skips like mad. So I'm looking for suggestions on PC cd readers of any format that will read as well as my standalones.

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Plextor Premium. Excellent error detection and correction with Plextools (older drives are said not to work so well). I haven't had any problems with CDs which I don't also have on my PCDP. Extraction is better than playing directly, though most CDs should play with no glitches directly. You also need to clean badly scratched CDs (Brasso works).

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
I haven't had any problems with CDs which I don't also have on my PCDP.

That's also one of my problems. I have an old D-E301 running off a wallwart that has problems about as much as my PC devices but again, the standalones have no problems. I'm waiting on a new D-EJ2000 to see if it might not be as susceptible to scratchs but that still doesn't fix my ripping problems.

Aug 8, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Try finding an old external SCSI NEC CD-ROM drive. Those things are suppost to be really good transports so I'd assume they'd be good for ripping audio. Also, try using EAC in "Secure" mode or CDex in "Paranoia, full" mode with all your current drives.

Aug 8, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idiot MD
That's also one of my problems. I have an old D-E301 running off a wallwart that has problems about as much as my PC devices but again, the standalones have no problems. I'm waiting on a new D-EJ2000 to see if it might not be as susceptible to scratchs but that still doesn't fix my ripping problems.

Actually I found portables rather good in general, and have a couple of bad experiences with standalones (admittedly which I could have avoided by reading reviews)! Portables are desinged for bad conditions and so are good at detecting errors and interpolating. (Computer DAE shouldn't involve interpolation except with bad discs.) Apart from scratches, which can be removed with Brasso, I don't think I've had any problems.

Aug 10, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 6
Intresting, I've just sold about a 1.5 month ago my old Lite-On Ldw-401s dvd+rw for 60 euros (I paid 99 euros at 2003 december).
I've been actually waiting for Dual Layer DVD grills/fireplaces of Plextor to have some great CD/DVD barbecue..
wink.gif
, well honestly I need it quite much for ripping and now I'm thinking how does Plextor Premium compare to Plextor DVD grills ?

Just curious which one is considered as the so-called "best" drive ´?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back