secondary IEM
Jul 13, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 36
Jul 14, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #17 of 36
well i dont know them but just to point out this was supposed to be your secondary pair and is now getting more expensive than your primary pair, lol truly welcome to head fi, lol

certainly they would have more bass than the custom 2 other than that i have no idea how they would compare

just a few more baby steps to the IE7 then the IE8
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #18 of 36
yep I know
wink.gif
haha
well yea I think I'm settled on the IE6, I was considering not getting some portapro's and getting the IE7's instead but reading about it seems the IE6's are more bass heavy which is kinda what I'm looking for.
Oh and don't think I've not considered returning the RE0's for some IE8's
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #21 of 36
aha I change my mind like anything...buuuuuuuuuutttt hopefully I'm settled now..I'm going to get some Sennheiser IE7's (yes I decided on the 7's mark haha) after selling my RE0's to mark.
Next up is choosing between the Koss PortaPro's, PX100's and AKG 518DJ's
L3000.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by djdeepblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just one thing, you can buy the Sennheiser CX-500 at MyMemory.co.uk for 27.99
wink.gif

Hope that helps
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Just saw now that you bought the Custom 2's
tongue.gif

noo I haven't bough the custom-2's lol, I'm splashing out a bit on the IE7's

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #25 of 36
well after selling my RE0's to Mark and some extra mileage expenses from work (and the Missus giving me a bit for my birthday
popcorn.gif
) the budgets around £230.
I've thrown some headphones into the mix. I do about 70% of my listening on public transport and through London, and the other 30% is split 50:50 between my desk at work and at home, both quiet environments.
So I would like some IEM's for day to day and one or two pairs of headphones for work and home.

I was agonising over IE8's + PortaPro's vs. IE7's + Grado sr80's vs. Custom 2's + Grado sr125's.

But I thenceforth went into my local audio shop (felt a bit bad..I had no intention of buying from there whatsoever since they are very expensive even by highstreet standards) and listened to some Goldring DR150's and some Grado sr125's with Dr.Dre's 2001 album (type of music I mainly listen to). The Goldring's were poor..didn't like them at all, fairly comfortable though.

The Grado's...this is probably blasphemy around here..but I didn't like them. And if my last statement wasn't going to damn me, I think this may get my account deleted - I preferred my mate's Sony MDR-V300's that I listened to last night. I just felt the bass wasn't there. As I type this I'm thinking it could have been the soundsystem I was listening to them on needed the bass turned up perhaps, but nevertheless it just sounded wrong, like Grado's are not meant for hiphop. I'm not disappointed, relieved infact, since this makes my choice easier:

Sennheiser IE8's - £179.99 - for every day use
Koss PortaPro's £20.99 - for work use
AKG k81dj £29.99 - for home use

£230.97

my ONLY concern now is the IE8's isolation...my listening locations are noisy. I crank the volume up somewhat so as long as I get a good seal I'm thinking I should be alright - but the Shure SE530's are £210 from play....
how does the bass compare on the IE8's to the SE530? I think I've determined the two most important qualities for me in an IEM is bass and soundstage...

P.S.> I'm getting the missus the Goldring's for her birthday, so I can cop a listen to them when she's not listening to see if I buy them for me as a second IEM
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #26 of 36
well the bass on the 530 is good and its capable of thundering it out if the song calls for it and the source can supply it. the bass on the 8 will thunder like Zeus himself is inside your skull.

actually if you give me till they show up i can tell you both of them compare to the RE-0

and lol about the goldrings

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the bass on the 530 is good and its capable of thundering it out if the song calls for it and the source can supply it. the bass on the 8 will thunder like Zeus himself is inside your skull.

actually if you give me till they show up i can tell you both of them compare to the RE-0

and lol about the goldrings

cheers mark,

well unfortunatley pay day is just under 2 weeks away
frown.gif
so yes I will be able to wait lol. The IE8's seem so attractive overall, Im just wondering if the SE530's would be better coz of the isolation :-/

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #29 of 36
haha now we're getting even more expensive since the W3 can be had from ebay for £250+ lol
tbh as an overall IEM the pair I was most satisfied with was my Shure e2c's, they were amazingly comfortable for me and I loved the sound..its just the bass sucked..or well..there was none imo.
So a comparison of the SE530's with the RE0's would be really useful..the RE0's did have bass it just didn't feel warm and fuzzy and like enough was there

edit: when I get my IE8/SE530's the JVC's are going in the bin
frown.gif
frown.gif
the left iem has broke to the point where it buzzes in my ear
frown.gif
will be so sad to dump them

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #30 of 36
@timmyGCSE:
Depending how the shape of your ear canal, how deep your tip go inside your ear, what
kind of tip it is (silicone, foam, silicone with foam underneath), and what state your bass
dial is in (min, max, somewhere in between, blocked off by tape) you can get good isolation
with the IE8s. The important thing is that you have to experiment to find the right method
to achieve isolation if you purchase IE8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back