Seattle Red Hook Meet July 30, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #91 of 104
  So @BIG POPPA, when's the next one? You guys gotta hear this Sony MDR-Z1R
biggrin.gif

Very cool, it sounded wonderful connected to the WM1a/z. I really wanted to hear it hooked up to something that I knew. Cannot wait to hear.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #92 of 104
  Very cool, it sounded wonderful connected to the WM1a/z. I really wanted to hear it hooked up to something that I knew. Cannot wait to hear.

The headphone sounds like a it can be driven well by a DAP with slightly more power than your modern cell phone. The X3ii directly sounds a bit congested but the C421 sounds decent. The new WM1 units would be nice but the Z is waaay up there in price, something I don't want to spend on that I take around with me that can take a tumble. The A version is more obtainable and practical but doesn't have that new 4MM balanced connection.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #93 of 104

The headphone sounds like a it can be driven well by a DAP with slightly more power than your modern cell phone. The X3ii directly sounds a bit congested but the C421 sounds decent. The new WM1 units would be nice but the Z is waaay up there in price, something I don't want to spend on that I take around with me that can take a tumble. The A version is more obtainable and practical but doesn't have that new 4MM balanced connection.

Actually, the A is almost identical to the Z less the copper, special wiring, and a few caps on the SE side of the board. It does though have the same balanced 4mm output which is close to identical to the Z. Couldn't personally tell the difference going back and forth between the a and the z at RMAF in show conditions using the same DSD song files using the Sony HP on the 4mm balanced output back and forth on both. But a DAP is going to be used in those type of situation regularly anyways so no big. The A by itself crushed all but the LGP in SQ easily and in its internal amping capabilities. Hoping to get the A myself.

As for the headphone, wow - cannot wait to hear it on one of your special rigs.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #95 of 104
I will be planning a meet real soon. Did not want to step on Bottlehead meets for diy.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #97 of 104
hello, i just relocated to seattle from boston and i am rather new to hifi... would like to go to a meet soon to absorb everyone's wisdom...

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #100 of 104
Any ideas as to when or where the meet may be? Thanks!

Usually the Bottlehead meet is end of April and Redhook late July. Both are terrific! Big Poppa will announce them.

Last year discombob put together a fun June meet in Bellingham. I hope we repeat that one as well.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #101 of 104
keep your eyes peeled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back