Seattle/Portland" Meet in the Middle" 27 Feb 2010 - Impressions
May 27, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #121 of 125
I always figured san francisco would be capitol hill but on a city sized scale.  That's a scary thought but would it be wrong to assume that? Lol

May 27, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #122 of 125
I lived in SF for over 10 years.  I wouldn't exactly say it's like capital hill.  It's sort of a combination of downtown Seattle and Capital Hill.  There no areas like Fremont or Ballard.   It's a lot busier than here.  You have to drive around a few times to find parking.   There's not a lot of greenery like here.  Lots of concrete except for the Presido and Golden Gate Park.  All the housing is right next to each other with no space between and there usually shops on bottom level.  Everything is usually within walking distance.  Corner market, bars, various restaurants throughout most of the city.  Seattle's Pike's Market has Fisherman's Wharf beat by a mile.  Pike's is a working market with lot of little local restaurants and shops.  Fisherman's is nothing but a tourist trap.  If you live in SF, you never go there except to take visitors.

I just went back to visit and had a great time but there's a sort of nervous energy there.  You can't quit relax there.  When I got back here and saw the mountains and all the trees, I felt more at ease.  Also the weather's is better here for the most part.  It's sunny there more often but then in the summer the fog will roll in by 5 and then it's nothing but windy and cold.  There's hardly ever a warm night.  At least here, we have a few months of pretty nice consistently warm weather to look forward to.

May 29, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #123 of 125
^ pretty cool on the description.  I haven't really traveled much but something tells me there's nothing like the green in washington state.  Also I believe that when we do actually get sunshine we enjoy it more than other people as well.

For the next meet is there anyone that would do a quick re-termination?  I know meets are better spent listening to others gear but I just asked for a quote on a simple 1/4" re-termination and I was quoted a 4 week waiting time with a price of $129...Lol either way that didn't quite strike me as a very reasonable price.  Maybe re-termination is like heart surgery and I just don't know it? All I know is that I just about attacked my new monitor after the guy replied to me with that.

I don't mind paying you / taking you out to eat / buying you a beer or two.  I can also bring the furutech 1/4" that I would want it re-terminated to.  Any takers? =)

May 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #124 of 125
Hopefully I didn't paint a negative picture of SF.  Maybe I'm just justifying my reason for moving up here.  It is very beautiful in the bay area in a different way.  It's always an amazing experience driving over the Golden Gate Bridge coming back into the city.  Also pretty nice going over the Bay Bridge as well.  In the non-summer months, there are beautiful rolling hills north of the city.  You have Napa less than an hour away.  You also have the Redwood Forest close by too.  If you do want heat, all you have to do it drive a half hour to the East Bay.  And the architecture there is like no other city in this country with mostly Victoria housing everywhere.  

My main reason for moving is I wasn't going out enough to justify the cost of living there.  It's a big difference but you can also make more, so it's not impossible to live there.  And if you're younger, that energy it has can be a good thing.  You can end of thinking Seattle is slow and boring compared to SF, instead of relaxing.  It's all about what you're looking for.  

May 31, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #125 of 125
Quote:
I lived in SF for over 10 years.  I wouldn't exactly say it's like capital hill.  It's sort of a combination of downtown Seattle and Capital Hill.  There no areas like Fremont or Ballard.   It's a lot busier than here.  You have to drive around a few times to find parking.   There's not a lot of greenery like here.  Lots of concrete except for the Presido and Golden Gate Park.  All the housing is right next to each other with no space between and there usually shops on bottom level.  Everything is usually within walking distance.  Corner market, bars, various restaurants throughout most of the city.  Seattle's Pike's Market has Fisherman's Wharf beat by a mile.  Pike's is a working market with lot of little local restaurants and shops.  Fisherman's is nothing but a tourist trap.  If you live in SF, you never go there except to take visitors.

I just went back to visit and had a great time but there's a sort of nervous energy there.  You can't quit relax there.  When I got back here and saw the mountains and all the trees, I felt more at ease.  Also the weather's is better here for the most part.  It's sunny there more often but then in the summer the fog will roll in by 5 and then it's nothing but windy and cold.  There's hardly ever a warm night.  At least here, we have a few months of pretty nice consistently warm weather to look forward to.

I might be taking this totally off-topic now, but I feel I have to chime in: I went on my honeymoon-roadtrip from SF to Seattle via Northeastern WA last year, and in hindsight, I have to admit that I should have skipped the first five days in SF and spend more time in WA instead. Driving (and hiking) thru the Redwoods was absolutely stunning, but my favorite part of the entire journey was crossing the Northern Cascades from Stevens County to Seattle. I totally regret not having the time to hike in the mountains for a couple of days. And yes, Pike's Market totally pwns Fisherman's Wharf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back