Seattle Meet 12/06/14 Impressions
Dec 24, 2014 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

miceblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, on behalf of the Seattle community, I decided to make an impressions thread for the meet that we had on December 6.

First of all, I want to thank BIG POPPA for organising the meet. He's always on top of things, so the meet went smoothly.

The meet this time around was smaller than normal, but with finals, holiday shopping, work, and other things coming around quickly at this time of the year, I can't say I was surprised. Nonetheless, I had a blast getting around to talk to more people than normal. There were a few newcomers to the meet too, which is always good to see.

I think the big star of the show for this meet was johnjen's Schiit Ragnarok. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to hear it myself, but it looked pretty epic.

^ Those copper cables look insanely cool! I want one of those, hahaha. : D

As I reminded myself from the last meet, I got a chance to hear blownaway's RW AK120 + Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II combo with my K 701.
I was quite impressed with the combo. It didn't sound very spacious to me, but its soundstage and imaging had great synergy with the K 701 (there was actually a center image!, which the K 701 is infamously known to lack). The treble seemed a bit rough to me, but the warm upper-bass and lower-mids was enjoyable to listen to. The K 701 sounded very dynamic on this setup.

Next time I should prepare a microSD card with music ahead of time since I completely forgot about portable media players using them.

Another big highlight for me was barra's AK100 II + C&C BH2 + HD700. I haven't heard the HD700 before, but I've read a lot of the love/hate relationship for it. With the AK100 II alone, the HD700 sounded just okay to me; it was a bit too bright for my preferences. With the BH2 on the other hand, it suddenly became really fun to listen to. The bass was a bit loose, but the extra warmth was nice to have. I tried the AK100 II with my beta OPPO HA-2 unit and I liked that combo more than the BH2. The soundstage and imaging were more defined, the bass tighter, but it still was a bit bright for me as per the HA-2's sound signature (similar to the Light Harmonic Geek Out).

I didn't get a chance to listen to this combo, but the Cayin C5 looked pretty cool stacked with the FiiO X5.

Likewise, I didn't get a chance to hear this either. The design and build of the Glove Audio A1 was really well-done in my opinion though. Beautiful piece of hardware.

One of the more unique things that I did hear though was the Paradox Enigma, which is made by Head-Fi's LFF. I've seen photos of it before, but you need to see it in-person.

It has a very DIY kind of look to it. It's not my cup of tea in terms of appearance nor sound on the other hand. It has a very thick, almost syrupy, heavy-mids sound signature. The treble is very soft and rolled-off, and the bass was a bit elevated to me. For $900....I don't think I would get one myself. On top of that, the clamping force was extremely strong. If you thought the JPS Labs Abyss has a weird fit, the Enigma comes in a solid second place for fit. I swear, wearing the headphones felt like I was wearing industrial-grade ear protection units.

I also got a chance to listen to the NAD VISO HP50. Overall it's a pretty balanced-sounding headphone, but I found the timbre of the midrange to sound really off to my ears, so I personally didn't like it too much. It certainly looks really nice though, if you can avoid looking at the fingerprint-magnet earcups. The earpads were a bit too snug for my ears since it felt like the driver cover was touching the outside of my ear; that or the earpads were just that small-feeling.

Finally, near the end of the meet, I got to try gefski's STAX SR-407 on my SRM-252S amplifier. I got a better idea of how the combo sounds compared to the last time I heard them because the meet was a lot quieter. To my surprise, I actually like the SR-407 a bit more than the SR-207. The synthetic leather pads of the SR-407 are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more supple and soft compared to my SR-207, which feels like stiff plastic next to the more pleather-like SR-407. The SR-407 seems to have a larger soundstage with better instrument separation and thus imaging, and the bass has a little bit more presence. Is it worth the price difference ($130)? Ehhh....probably not, but it is a nicer sonic experience with the entry-level amplifier. I also don't really like the SR-407's colour (light tan, kind of like khakis). For the next meet, I hope to have the Light Harmonic Linear Power Supply in my hands, so I'll be powering the STAX with that instead of the step-down transformer/power conditioner/wall wart rig I currently use and hopefully it will affect the STAX's sound.

Last but not least, the after meet was pretty awesome too at the Copper Coin. I ordered the deluxe hamburger with the chipotle mayonnaise and it was delicious!

^ looots of skinny fries there

I also ordered a non-alcoholic ginger beer. A tad pricey at $4 for a tall but narrow glass, but it was really refreshing. Growing up and eating ginger in a lot of foods, it's definitely an acquired taste though. This ginger beer had a very strong ginger spiciness to it and it also had some tanginess to it, almost like orange juice.

All righty, with permission from OPPO Digital, I'm allowed to bring a beta testing unit of their upcoming HA-2 portable headphone amplifier to the meet!

Anyone have comments on the HA-2 compared to the other gear there?

I didn't hear very many comparisons between other gear, but people generally seemed very positive about it for its price/features/aesthetics ($299 estimated MSRP with native iOS/Android playback, smartphone charging, 30-minute rapid-charge, and desktop DAC/amp).

[rule]
Also, please check out this thread if you Seattle and Portland residents are interested in a future Head-Fi meet:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/742674/ic-meet-in-the-middle

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 13
Miceblue, the only way we 207/307/407 owners will have nice earpads is to open our wallets and buy 507 pads. I really liked those that someone had at the previous meet. No, that won't make our clunky Lambdas look good, but I take a perverse pleasure in their ugliness(?) when I wear them for an evening of music!

Ginger Beer? Used to make Moscow Mules, vodka, ginger beer, squeeze of lime, properly served in copper mugs (like these old tarnished U.S. made Gregorians).

Thanks for the thread and the pics, thanks to Gil, great time listening and talking to new and old (no one as old as me!) HeadFiers!

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 13
The meet was great. We started at Endolyne Joes for Breakfast, Little Poppa actually made it for the whole day. Stuart360 made it from Bremerton, and we stopped at Easy street Records to grab some cds. Seeing old friends and new ones is always great. The banter between Johnjen and I is always great. Our opinions........ The aftermeet was great, the Copper Coin, had a little something to everybody. And Big props to Little Poppa, he was Stuart360's eyes for the day. Great Meet!

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for starting the thread miceblue.  As always, it's a lot fun despite the relatively small turn out compared to previous meets.  I heard that johnjen Schiit setup and it was bitchin!  That paired with the LCD-3 was the best I heard at the meet (shown in your pics). The dynamics were outstanding along with its dead silent background. It leaves no doubt about the Audeze sounding its best, subjectively of course.

That LFF Enigma really kicks you in the balls with it's sub-bass, at least with the tracks I was listening with on the setup.  I agree with you on the rolled off highs, and thick and heavy mids - syrupy is the right adjective. The last headphone I heard that sounded similar to these were the Darth-beyers, with less rolled off highs.  I like the model image, miceblue.  You just need a white robe, bleached skin, and you got the Princess Lea look down to a "T."

I spent a lot of time talking with blownaway.  His setup always sounds impressive. I now want a GS1000e. As I expressed before in past meets, it's one of those pinnacle of portable audio.

Thanks again Big Poppa for coordinating a great meet. One of these days, I got to make to the before/after meet get-togethers. That chow looks mighty tasty.

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 13
The last one was my first one - thanks to all! - I wasn't sure what to expect.  Look forward to the next one, will be better prepared with source material I know well.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 13
March or April meet?! I think that's in line with last year iirc.

That would be great! Never been to a meet before, sounds really exciting. Still hoping to try out a pair of headphones with a dac/amp that teleports me to a new audio nirvana. I still feel like the HD700 are just better headphones, nothing legendary. Even going from a M50 to them wasn't enough imo. Perhaps with a proper dac/amp they will shine. Still wondering if I'd notice a difference between the Bifrost/Bifrost Uber/Modi 2 Uber. Pretty dead set on the Valhalla 2 though.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 13
  That would be great! Never been to a meet before, sounds really exciting. Still hoping to try out a pair of headphones with a dac/amp that teleports me to a new audio nirvana. I still feel like the HD700 are just better headphones, nothing legendary. Even going from a M50 to them wasn't enough imo. Perhaps with a proper dac/amp they will shine. Still wondering if I'd notice a difference between the Bifrost/Bifrost Uber/Modi 2 Uber. Pretty dead set on the Valhalla 2 though.

Come to a meet.  There will be some teleportation devices there for you to try.  I'll bring mine.

That's the neat thing about meets.  You get to try a variety of gear.  Try a bunch of gear and you'll eventually find what sort of sound suits you and helps send you to audio nirvana.  Meets are awesome and the best thing about the head-fi community.  Make an effort to attend meets.  It's worth the effort.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 13
What Hammy said......

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 13
If I were to bring my HD700, and a Modi 2 Uber/Valhalla 2, but not have a laptop or a source of music, how would that work? Would I pair up with someone else for it or something?

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #13 of 13
no worries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back