Searching for the best IEM on the planet (...seriously)
Jul 24, 2022 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Clay49

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I have been peppering this Help section of the forum with questions over the last 10 days or so about headphone amps, CD players, etc, as I have been grappling with some hearing loss issues (just my upper treble region where vocal sibilants and tight high-hatsounds and shakers reside. I’m also missing the high “hiss” of leaves rubbing together in the trees as the wind rustles with the approach of storm. But, I am 60 now, and am finding that it’s a pretty common malady for us young seniors!

At any rate, I have some fine headphones: HiFiMan HE1000 V2 and Sennheiser HD 800S, both equipped with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables, so these cans deliver the goods, for the most part. I used the headphones in conjunction with a small Grace Design CTH+SDAC that MassDrop put out a few years ago (has one single 6922 tube). I also have a set of Empire Ears Legend EVO, which are magnificent, also with Silver Dragon cable. I do most of my listening, at the moment through my A&K KANN Alpha DAP (I also have the A&K CD Ripper, and have transferred most of my collection to the DAP at this point.

I am coming to the realization that headphones just aren’t going to get me where I’d like to be, not like the EVO does. These IEM’s actually give me the sounds that I’m “not supposed to be hearing” where the headphones don’t. I’m also getting ready to audition a set of EE Odin and their ESR MKII IEM’s as well, just to compare several different ones in the Empire Ears line.

That being said, I’m planning to sell both of my headphones, and will have some additional funds to put toward “the best IEM’s on the planet”. Yes, Yes,...I’ve been around here long enough to know that all of this is so highly subjective and one man’s “end game IEM” is another man’s “are you kidding me?” experience altogether. I’ve also seen the Crinnacle IEM chart, as well as few others, so I’m taking notes there as well.

My question I’d like to pose to you serious IEM users: Which IEM would you say has the best clarity, depth, soundstage (both height and width), solid (natural) bass, articulate warm mids, and clear highs. I lean toward the critical side of listening (since I have been a professional musician all of my life), so I want to hear what’s in the mix, just not to the point of harshness (I had a set of Adam A7X monitors with ribbon tweeters that were too raw and almost strident).

Would love to make a list of what you guys esteem the most, as I have benefitted greatly from many of you during my short time here.

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 11
I haven't heard them in some time, but I remember really enjoying the 64 Audio U18S and UM Mason Fabled Sound. If money is no object, you should probably look into custom.

Also, I like the HE1000 SE much more than the v2, fwiw.

Jul 24, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 11
Jul 24, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 11
Jul 25, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 11
MMR Thummim. Jaw-dropping, that's all I'll say.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 11
Hi guys, just wanted to update my own thread…

I picked up a new set of moondrop S8, and I am VERY impressed with these little dudes! Other than not having the same base extension, these give me every bit of what I’m hearing in my empire ears legend Evo, and I am not exaggerating. Crinnacle was right in his assessment, I must say!

Still waiting on a used set of Odin that should arrive any day now.

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 11
UPDATE: I got the Odin in on Monday, as well as the lowly DROP + JVC HA-FDX1. At this point, my ears are bonding most favorably with the DROP + JVC HA-FDX1. I have ordered some different (foam) ear tips because even the largest ones they provided do not completely seal. It honestly has the most natural sound across the entire spectrum, and I hear clarity in these that I simply don’t hear in any of the others. In all the rest (Legend EVO, Odin and Moondrop S8, there are certain frequencies either heightened or diminished, but the HA-FDX1 sounds “truest” across the board...and I am really stunned by this, given the price tag ($230 brand new). I may see if I can get a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable to see if it will yield even more of it’s transparent goodness. Who’d a thunk it...I am so pleasantly pleased and very much surprised that these have not been more heralded (or maybe they have and I’m just late to the dance).

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 11
The Shure KSE1500 is my favorite iem so far ... as always a lot depends on your taste, music preferences etc etc.

Best of luck on your journey

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 11
UPDATE: I got the Odin in on Monday, as well as the lowly DROP + JVC HA-FDX1. At this point, my ears are bonding most favorably with the DROP + JVC HA-FDX1. I have ordered some different (foam) ear tips because even the largest ones they provided do not completely seal. It honestly has the most natural sound across the entire spectrum, and I hear clarity in these that I simply don’t hear in any of the others. In all the rest (Legend EVO, Odin and Moondrop S8, there are certain frequencies either heightened or diminished, but the HA-FDX1 sounds “truest” across the board...and I am really stunned by this, given the price tag ($230 brand new). I may see if I can get a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable to see if it will yield even more of it’s transparent goodness. Who’d a thunk it...I am so pleasantly pleased and very much surprised that these have not been more heralded (or maybe they have and I’m just late to the dance).
Then you may like my favorite: JVC FW10000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back