Seanwee's DAP impressions & comparisons (Latest: SP3000)
Apr 20, 2024 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

seanwee

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been making A/B Dap comparisons for a while but in many different threads.

I'm creating this thread to consolidate them all in one place moving forward.

For disclosure
Main iem: Elysian Annihilator 2021
20211202_184002.jpg

Main source: FiiO M15S

Sound preference: Detail/clarity focus, warm is fine but not at the expense of detail.

Listening volume: Loud (80-85db), volume matched with 711 coupler

Output tested: 4.4 balanced, medium gain unless mentioned otherwise

Main thing I look for in daps is technical capability, soundstage, instrument separation and dynamics.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 15
FiiO M15s vs Shanling M6U

From an extensive demo the M15s won out due to better bass extension, texture and control. The M6U had a softer less tight bass. Worse than my DX160 in fact.
The rest of the spectrum is very much a difference in tonality. The M15s is Reference-neutral with a hint of warmth whereas the M6U is very much warm-neutral.

I liked the sharper transients and crisper tonality of the M15s.

Stay away from the Desktop Mode on the M15s though, it crushes the dynamics and soundstage.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 15
iBasso DX240 vs FiiO M15S

In short the M15s is more dynamic and lively while the DX240 sticks close to reference as much as possible.

Bass wise the DX240 is more controlled and tighter while the M15s has a relatively looser and boomier bass which sacrifices detail. With the DX240 you get layers, with the M15s you get a single note if that makes sense. In most songs this may not be a factor but in songs with prominent bass melody it has a more congested feel to it.

Mids wise the M15s feels more forward while the DX240 sounds dryer. Detail levels are excellent on both but the M15s sounds livelier. I want to say that the M15s is almost coloured in a way compared to the DX240. But it's done more tastefully than say on the Cayin N7.

Treble wise, rather than saying the M15s is less extended, it would be better to say that the M15s has a softer presentation while the DX240 presents it as dead neutral. This difference is exacerbated if you turn on level 1 and level 2 second harmonic distortion control. So if you have something with harsher treble the M15s reels it back in, but on already rolled off gear the DX240 is better.

Soundstage wise the DX240 has a clearer but smaller soundstage but the M15s is just larger overall. Both are on par with instrument placement and holography.

Dynamics wise it's no contest, the M15s is much better than the comparatively flat DX240. Notes have more punch and weight compared to the dryer presentation on the DX240.

With the exception of the looser bass I would prefer the M15s over the DX240.

Overall I'd say the DX240 sounds like an upgraded and refined DX160 whereas the M15s brings better dynamics, wider soundstage and a livelier performance overall.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 15
iBasso DX260 vs FiiO M15S
20240315_141125(1).jpg

Medium gain, FIR-NOR, short delay slow

FIR 2x and 4x diminish the DX260's crispness and dynamics more with each step.

So far my impressions are similar to the dx240 but with refined treble and improved dynamics.

Dynamics still loses to the M15s but it's an improvement over the DX240.Treble is refined with a less harsh edge.

Now for the head to head.

Note weight is thinner on the 260 vs M15s. M15s hits harder but with the same speed. Only part where it's note weight somewhat hinders it is in really bassy tracks with small detail (some of my j-pop) where the bass could be slightly tighter.

Soundstage is similar to dx240 vs M15s. Clearer but smaller soundstage on the DX260 and larger overall on the M15s. Microdetail seems to be slightly worse where the DX240 and M15s were comparable... but I can't say for sure without a direct side by side with the DX240. It's perceived as a subtle lack of bite on violin string pulls, like its being smoothed slightly.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 15
Cayin N7 vs FiiO M15S
1000128274.jpg

I had a brief listen to class A/AB and it's DSD oversampling modes and I settled with class A amplification for its bigger body, and DSD 512 over sampling for a smidgen better clarity.

On first listen it was clear that the N7's huge holographic soundstage and great instrument separation was going to be the star of the show. There was lots of air between instruments making every note, detail, instrument effortless. It's the antithesis of congested sounding.

Presentation wise it's like a combination of the best of the DX260 with best of M15S.

It has really good clarity with great dynamics but with better soundstage than either.

That said, there is an intensity to the sound. Treble seems to be straddling the edge of harsh in treble heavy tracks but it never quite goes over. It's not a problem in most songs though.

I really like the treble presentation personally, very clear and firm but not thin or soft. Comparatively speaking the treble on the M15S is slightly soft and the DX260 is thin.

The only part where the N7 falls short is it's bass. Mid bass is present and bold, but the sub bass doesn't go as deep as M15s to give that guttural rumble, and at the same time it's not as precise as DX260 bass.

Overall I'd say in all aspects but bass it's better than the M15S, but at the same time the tonality has shifted from warm-neutral to reference-neutral like the DX260 so it's not a direct upgrade path either. If you like deep powerful bass you will also definitely miss something with the N7.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 15
Sony WM1AM2 vs FiiO M15S
20240420_131127.jpg

I really did not expect to be surprised. Sony moving away from their warm dark tonality?

But change they did, and the WM1AM2 now has a neutral tonality. Audiophiles rejoice!

Even from memory it's very clear (pun intended) the detail is much improved with a very clear sound compared to the old WM1A and even more so WM1Z which sounds muddy in comparison. To me it now sounds like refined DX160, maybe even the DX240?

I haven't read any reviews or follow the WM1A/Z M2 impressions thread but I am sure this tuning change is going to be very divisive.

WM1A/WM1Z users who prefer the warm/dark/analog sound are sure to hate this sound.

I was never a fan of the WM1A/WM1Z sound (too veiled, rolled off and muddy) until Mr Walkman ported over the DMP-Z1 sound over to the WM1A/WM1Z (yes, Sony uses dsp to segment and "tune" their daps).

So this is a welcome change for me.

Now onto how it compares with the FiiO M15S

As alluded to with me comparing it to a refined DX160, its not on the same level as the FiiO.

Soundstage is flatter and a bit less wide. I would say it has average depth but with average to good width.

Overall tonality is also thinner compared to the M15s which is definitely not something I'd say about the older WM1A/WM1Z players (I'm still surprised Sony did such a 180° change)

Bass is weaker with less extension.

Treble is also on the thinner side, but it also gives an impression of better clarity like on the DX240.

Dynamics is also clearly not as good, like DX240.

Now I realised that I have compared this more to the DX240 than the M15S, and that's exactly what this sounds like but without the detail level of the DX240.

The DX240 also already has a successor in the form of the DX260 which definitely beats the WM1A M2 in all aspects imo.

So if you have heard and like the sound and tonality of the WM1A M2, I implore you give the DX260 a try. It may very well be your next DAP.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 15
If you'd like to know how a DAP compares to another, do let me know.

If I can, I'll definitely do a detailed 1 on 1 comparison

Currently top on my list to compare is the SP3000, which I've heard briefly but I'm still unsure why I didn't enjoy as much as the SP1000/2000/2000T which I loved.

Other daps I'm waiting to compare:
A&K SR35
HIBY R6 Pro II
FiiO M23
Cayin N3 Ultra

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 15
Astell & Kern SP3000 impressions
(Goodbye for now A&K)

20240420_145431(1).jpg

I've loved the A&K SP series since the SP1000 up to the SP2000T. In fact the SP1000 was the first player that struck me as wow, now this is high end sound.

So I struggled to figure out why exactly I couldn't fall in love with the SP3000.

And so I listened, immersed myself in the music. Then it hit me, the SP3000 was the first SP series to not be holographic sounding.

The soundstage is big and has good depth don't get me wrong, but the lack of holography and air between instruments makes it sound less immersive and engaging to me.

Instrument separation suffers as a result giving it an impression that it is less detailed and congested. Mind you the detail is still there, it's just not as present, but like how a TV with poor contrast presents a picture, the finer details are harder to see in a dark scene.

The SP3000 also lacks bite which I suspect is due to the 4499EX (will have to see how the R6 Pro II and M23 sound). Eveything has a sort of softness to it affecting overall perception of clarity and dynamics. It's not like the SP1000 with an ethereal presentation, but rather like a blunted feel to the sound, it doesn't snap when it should. Doesn't help that the dynamics aren't class leading to begin with.

According to the store owner, a fellow audiophile, the Sp3000 returned to the old AK tuning, ie AK380 old. A more "cohesive" tuning according to some.

I recently heard someone describe a holographic signature as bright and artificially large. Which, as someone who has gone down the speaker rabbit hole, isn't how I would describe it at all.

I find that the airy feeling allows for the "out of your head" feel (with a suitably good pair of iems) that seemed to be the goal when I first started my audio journey more than a decade ago. And I'm happy that I have gear at or even beyond my wildest dreams.

But like how people are returning to analog R2R systems and the resurgence of vinyl, I guess people just long for a nostalgic tuning.

And that's ok. But till next time A&K

Ps: I was asked to try the HB1 which has the Sp1000 tuning and the holographic nature, while mild, was immediately noticeable. Guess it's really a tuning choice. Still unclear how sources are "tuned" to have a holographic sound.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 15
Astell & Kern SP3000 vs M15S

20240420_145431.jpg

... It's has got to be a mismatch right?

But the fact is daps have gotten so good that the you no longer have to pay past $1000 to get flagship sound.

The super high end is now reserved for daps with special sound coloration options like R2R or vacuum tube options imo, which makes the SP3000 one of the $3000+ holdouts with only a "standard" configuration.

Tonality wise, the SP3000 is closer to neutral while the M15S has a slight warm tint. That said, this isn't a normal neutral vs warm scenario. The SP3000 has a soft presentation while the M15s is crisp and punchy but not harsh as well.

For classic dac + solid state Daps, being able to hear every detail isn't an achievement anymore, it's a low bar to clear around or below $1000.

That said, detail jumps out at you more on the M15S due to its combination of better dynamics, holographic soundstage and crisper sound. Not in an in your face way, but like peering out a window rather than looking at a picture, there is a better perception of depth and consequently, you are able to separate the layers better.

On the SP3000, you get a slightly wider stage, blacker background that makes it sound deeper in some simpler tracks but in complicated/busy tracks it's clear the instrument separation is worse due to the lack of a holographic soundstage making it sound congested at times.

Bass is thicker and goes deeper on the M15S which I enjoy more, but unlike on the DX260 the SP3000 doesn't sound tighter due to its soft presentation.

Mids are a similar case where the M15S has more body to the sound but remains crisper than the SP3000.

Treble wise they are pretty similar but the SP3000 has a more natural extension despite both having a softer presentation.

Dynamics is a complete bloodbath, M15S vs SP3000 is like HDR on an OLED vs an LCD. Powerful vocals and instruments like trumpets come through strong, bold and crisp while they are soft, polite and subdued on the SP3000.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 15
The m15s is very good value. I have an m17 and it punches over its price point in my opinion

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 15
The m15s is very good value. I have an m17 and it punches over its price point in my opinion
Yeah I liked it in desktop mode, but it's clearly not a portable device. More like a transportable desktop rig. The need to use a separate adapter is a bummer, if only it had the same type C PD desktop mode as the M15S.

Can't say I like the M15S desktop mode though, soundstage and dynamics get worse for some reason.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 15
Hehe yeah I use it at my work desk. I use an m11 plus as my portable option. What iems pair well with the m15s?

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 15
Hehe yeah I use it at my work desk. I use an m11 plus as my portable option. What iems pair well with the m15s?
Price range? Preferred sound signature?

The Thieaudio Monarch Mk3 is my defacto "pleases everyone" recommendation.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 15
Was going to say about 1k. I generally go for neutral with a slight bass boost as I listen to a lot of electronic music

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 15
Was going to say about 1k. I generally go for neutral with a slight bass boost as I listen to a lot of electronic music
Yeah the Monarch Mk3 fits the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back