scratchy volume controls, how to avoid?
Jun 13, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avoiding a humid environment is also a good idea.

A good idea, yes; but not always an option
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #17 of 18
The DC blocking caps for quiet volume control in the mobile line bring up an interesting question in relation to use with a RWA iMod, which is probably not an uncommon pairing. The iMod needs DC blocking caps to remove DC from the direct DAC output, however if the following amplifier already has DC blocking caps in the signal path that cannot be removed, wouldn't one want to use the iMod in such a system without the extra iMod capacitors for best SQ?

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer your question, warpdriver: moving or not moving the volume control is not a factor. The reason for the crackle, usually has to do with the fact; that air-borne micro-fibres, dirt and dust are in all our homes (not to mention our bodies and clothes), no matter how clean you think you keep your stuff or yourself. They float through our air, and eventually settle on something. If, in their travels, they became static-charged (and decided to settle on your volume pot; which, if you have a good-one, will be very sensitive to such intrusions); you will experience this crackle. Easiest solution for me has been: compressed-air (to blast-out the dust), and contact-cleaner (to clean and wash-away) what the compressed-air didn't get. Has worked great for me everytime.
icon10.gif

Just to revive a dead thread in a forum I've never visited, I wanted to thank you for this. I've had a crackly volume knob for years...it finally frustrated me today to the point that I was going to replace the device if I found no solution. Your compressed air trick worked wonders! Thought you should know.

Thanks again

Knowing is half the battle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back