Scored HUGE lot of records today
Apr 27, 2002 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
In my efforts to buy used records I have placed ads in a few local papers and I put those cards out in grocery stores offering cash for old records.I have been lucky enough to score lots of great records but also I have had to deal with some real quacks including a lady who insisted she had an authentic Elvis autograph on a record that was reissued in 1981.Today was the pie.I got a call from a woman who wanted to sell her deceased husband's entire collection which she claimed numbered in the thousands.as always I was skeptical so I sent by one of my employees who lives near her.He confirmed the numbers but told me that he thought they were mostly junk.Well I went by today to find the treasure of my hunts so far.There are at least 5000 LPs from almost every genre.When my guy went by the lady just sent him to the basement and he saw a shelf with second rate duplicates that were indeed junk(I have a shelf like that myself) .When I got there she took me to the room where he kept all the good stuff.This guy had awesome taste and there are some great original issue Jazz and rock and classical titles.Her kids want the proceeds from the sale of these records and the wife accepted my offer today for them.I pulled one of my crews to move the records and they are loading them on a cube van right now.I will bring them back to the shop where I will probbaly spend the next few months going through and checking the conditions of them all.I am so pumped right now,I couldn't get to sleep and stayed up all night so that I would make the 6:30 am appointment I made with her.This is the find of my life and if I don't flip out from the excitement,I will be spinning and dealing records for a while.I now have over 16,000 records.WOW!!

Apr 27, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 11
That is sooo cool, man. I'm drooling big time......may have to put on a bib!........
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 11
Keep rubbing it in man!
biggrin.gif

Damn, i truely envy the fact that you have the space for this stuff!

I picked up oasis "whats the story morning glory" and smashing pumpkins "siamese dream" on lp this week from ebay, thats about it (bummed out). hehe

Apr 27, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 11
OMG!

Do you realize that if you played a different record everyday, it would still take @44 years to get 1 play on 16,000 records.

BTW, how much did 5,000 records cost you in this case?

Apr 27, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 11
What kind of cleaner do you use? I bet you have a fully auto liquid + vacuum system?

...and it just occurred to me, when I'm pushing up daisies what will happen to all my gear? I don't have 16,000 records and I hope life isn't even half over yet, but it makes you think.

Apr 28, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 11
There are actually 5177 records.4127 LPs, 430 78rpm and 520 45rpm singles.I paid $1200.00 in cash and I have agreed to perform some electrical work in her home that is worth around $3500.00.When we went into the basement it was poorly lit.I will install two new panels,17 light fixtures and switches and run the needed code-required conduit.My crew actually got started on that today.She would only allow us to remove about half the records today,she wants to make sure we finish the promised work.I am attempting to be as fair as possible with her so I have also made a pledge that I will share the proceeds from any extraordinary profit that I make from any record sales.After looking closer at some of the incredible gems that are in this collection I feel that I will most certainly be paying this woman much more money in the future.I took the records that we moved today back to my shop.I will clean and grade these as I get time but I did bring about 100 records home with me tonight,including some amazing original issue Bluenote and Columbia jazz titles.I don't know if I can convey in words how incredible this collection is.It is not really the size of it but rather the quality of the recordings and the physical condition of the records.If you consider that this gentleman(I am now in awe of him)collected records since 1948 and NEVER sold any of them,you may get some idea of what I'm seeing.Everytime I move a crate or open a box I am more amazed.I will take some pics of this collection once I can get it somewhat organized.

To answer the question,I have a VPI 17-F vacuum cleaning machine.As part of this deal I purchased the Sota vacuum machine that this gentleman used to maintain his collection.I also purchased a beautiful english leather chair and ottoman from this lady that belonged to her husband.I am not worried about what will happen to my music collection after I'm gone but as I promised the lady, I'm sure her husband would approve of my purchase of his collection.I am not trying to cheat his widow and I am an enthusiast and music lover.

Apr 28, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 11
I shudder to think what was about to happen to this collection.this lady had hired a cleaning service to clean the basement.She basically told them to throw out everything that she didn't tag with a yellow wax pencil.When I went to the basement she had not marked any of the records.She later confirmed that she was going to have them thrown out.She saw my ad at a grocery store and figured she'd call.The cleaning service was to come in monday morning.I almost cancelled my appointment with her because she really sounded confused about the records over the phone.

Apr 30, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I am attempting to be as fair as possible with her so I have also made a pledge that I will share the proceeds from any extraordinary profit that I make from any record sales.

I guess it was something of a divine providence for you to find this "treasure".

God Bless you, Fred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back