Schiit Modius on Android phone?
Dec 2, 2021 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ultrarunner2018

100+ Head-Fier
Hi;
I'm going to attempt to use my Schiit Modius / Magnius stack with my Moto G7 Optimo Maxx Android 10 (or my new Galaxy A51 Android 11) phone.
While the DAC may function, I am a bit concerned about the power drain from the phone's USB port.
Schiit suggests using a powered USB hub if the phone cannot support the DAC. I guess I won't break anything by trying it the simply way first - just plugging the Modius into my phone.

One thing I noted in the Modius manual is this: "If you’re using the other digital inputs, and you’re NOT using USB, you need Power Input."
This tells me that I should NOT connect the external power supply to the Modius while it is connected to a USB source.
I believe that doing so could damage the source and/or the Modius.
Since any USB port has 5V power, powering the Modius externally could (depending on its internal wiring) push 5V through its USB input in the wrong direction, which could cause damage to either the Modius or the source or both. This would happen if the USB power and the external 5V power are not exactly the same voltage - which is likely to be the case.
This is why Schiit advises to use a powered USB hub if the phone cannot supply the necessary power.

Does anyone have experience with the Modius on an Android phone?

Thanks
Ultrarunner

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 8
I guess I answered my own question: The answer is yes; The Modius will indeed function perfectly with an Android phone. I didn't need to do anything at all; just plug the Modius into the USB port on my phone (using USB A to C dongle) and the Modius powered on. The phone automatically switched to the USB DAC and has identified it as "Schitt Unison Modius".
I did have to use a powered USB hub though; I have a dongle that measures USB V and I. When I plugged the Modius into the phone's USB port the I was 250mA.
It would have powered the Modius - as I believe the USB ports on the phone are good for 500mA, but battery life would be dismal!
Of course, the (digital) volume control on the phone still controls the volume in my hp. So I just bumped it all the way up - as I do when I use the Schiit stack on my PC.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 8
I tried using a new condition Note 20 Ultra to power my Modius DAC with a Magnius Amp and Lokius Eq. But apparently my phone was not up to the task. I had no sound. I then hooked it up to my son's 20 year old laptop and everything worked. The problem is his laptop sounds worse than a phonograph. My old Modi, Magi and Loki sounded better through my phone.

I read you can use a powered USB hub. I do not know anything about a powered USB hub. Can anyone explain how to connect the hub? Does it need to be connected to a wall socket? Do I just plug the phone into one port and the Modius into another port?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Barondog

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 8
I tried using a new condition Note 20 Ultra to power my Modius DAC with a Magnius Amp and Lokius Eq. But apparently my phone was not up to the task. I had no sound. I then hooked it up to my son's 20 year old laptop and everything worked. The problem is his laptop sounds worse than a phonograph. My old Modi, Magi and Loki sounded better through my phone.

I read you can use a powered USB hub. I do not know anything about a powered USB hub. Can anyone explain how to connect the hub? Does it need to be connected to a wall socket? Do I just plug the phone into one port and the Modius into another port?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Barondog
Go to the book store and search for a usb c powered laptop hub. You want one that has the usb c data cable to plug into the phone. It needs to have a wallwart power supply to drive the DAC.

Like this:

Powered USB Hub, Rosonway 7-Port USB 3.2/USB C Hub​

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 8
Go to the book store and search for a usb c powered laptop hub. You want one that has the usb c data cable to plug into the phone. It needs to have a wallwart power supply to drive the DAC.

Like this:

Powered USB Hub, Rosonway 7-Port USB 3.2/USB C Hub​

Thank you for your input. I think I have it figured out. I was looking at the same powered hub you you put in the note. Barondog

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 8
Thank you for your input. I think I have it figured out. I was looking at the same powered hub you you put in the note. Barondog
If it worked for you, and if you get any power supply buzz, you can find linear power supplies to feed it to replace the wort. My pc's usb card which is designed to isolate it from the PC has an external power supply feed port. I found a linear supply to feed it. Worked well.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 8
Well I went and ordered the powered USB hub as Schiit suggests. Now I have no sound or even an led selection light. I still have 2 days to return it (Modius). At this point I cannot see what I could have done wrong. I triple checked the connections and reconnected them. Still nothing. The DAC also does not work with our PC. It will send horrible sound ( like two cans an a string) through my son's twenty year old laptop. At this point I am ready to send everything back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back