Schiit Jotunheim R vs Raal HSA-1b
May 2, 2021 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

new2mus

Head-Fier
Does anyone have experience with the Jot R and HSA-1b for Raal SR1a headphones? I searched butt couldn't find much discussion about the HSA-1b.

I'm thinking about upgrading and would love to know if it's worth the audition/upgrade. I'd like to get the best experience out of the SR1a. I am also debating between Holo Audio May vs. MScaler + TT2 but I will look through forums for that discussion. Here are my potential options for the DAC and AMP combos:

Option 1: (Amazon HD and Tidal) Node 2 --> (Holo Audio May or MScaler + TT2) --> Jot R --> SR1a
Option 1: (Amazon HD and Tidal) Node 2 --> (Holo Audio May or MScaler + TT2) --> HSA-1b --> SR1a

Long time reader but new poster. Thanks for your help.

May 2, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 8
You should first ask yourself what best means to you as you can conveniently scale up to HSA-1b performance and then quickly scale past it if you pursue the arduous world of power amps.

If for a middle-ground that includes convenience but not space, your question is a bit more pertinent.

Jot R serves a bit more sparked; more edge in detail, more treble focus but not necessarily more detailed. Overall fast/lean.
HSA-1b is more warm and supplies more body and perhaps perceived emotion as it's a more cohesive balance.

I may note: I feel we are very much splitting hairs, the SR1a represents a revolutionary change in headphone listening and you're only capping refinements to an already God tier performance.

I likely wouldn't recommend the SR1a without a opposing headphone with same/similar amp (chain) requirements.
I also personally feel the SR1a is the most referential listening resource but not exactly the most enjoyed.

May 2, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks @paradoxper
I am limiting myself to headphone amps (so no power amp route). I am looking for convenience in a small package.

I'd like to keep what I really enjoy about the SR1a (detailed, fast, amazing stage depth and width) but add a bit more body and increase stage depth and width, possible. Also, I have an Elegia and hope the HSA-1b can also provide a good amp option for it.

I'm trying to strictly limit myself to 2-3 pairs of heaphones and one source + dac + amp chain. What opposing headphone would you recommend?

May 2, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 8
I might hastily recommend the Verite Closed as it's a little rich, warm, semi-fully competent with nice cheating punched sound.
Another perfect complement to the ultra (but light on bass) SR1a.

May 2, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks. I've been eyeing the Verite closed for a while now. They look like a good aesthetic balance to the SR1a as well.
Good luck with the journey. You are doing a complete overhaul which is, in part, all the fun.

At least you started with the SR1a.

Build on.

Dec 7, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 8
To anybody still deciding, earlier this year I sold an AHB2 and bought a Jot R. I would make that decision again in a heartbeat. The Jot R seemed a bit more sharp to me, and both had similar amounts of detail. For the price, the Jot R easily wins for me. The 9028 DAC card is actually quite decent. You get a tiny space-saving all in one solution with the Jot R.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Hello, my Jotunheim R is in audio service in Helsinki. The voltage has been changed to 230v and power toggle switch is also changed. Now the electricity comes to JotR, but sound can't be heard with headphones. What could be the reason for this? Any ideas would be most wellcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back