Schiit Head-fi'ers do/say
Mar 29, 2017 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Carcajou

Head-Fier
Time for some self-mockery. Thought I'd start a thread to list some ridiculous things us Head-fi'ers do, say, argue about, etc.

It's meant to be humoristic so please be good sports and leave your ego at the door.

Here are some obvious ones to get started:

- Spend WAY too much money on audio gear.

- Make fun of people who spend hundreds of dollars on cables

- Make fun of peasants who don't understand the importance of good cables

- Discuss the importance of burning-in headphones

- Describe their experience with new audio gear as if it was some epic journey

- Apologizing about poor english skills

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 15
Burn-in headphones...?
Only one way to do it.....   
L3000.gif

noisecancelling-burnin.jpg

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 15
There was a guy awhile back on the Help and Recommendations board who was looking for a 'really good' dac/amp with a 'strict' budget of $10 (!). I just wanted to give him one of mine, really, I felt so bad for him. We told him he might want to put it all into earphones and wait until he had a bit more money for, you know, a proper dac/amp. He didn't want to do it. He wanted us to find him a 'great' dac/amp for ten bucks, damnit. I think he finally wound up adding another ten dollars and getting a pair of decent Chinese IEMs. His initial request was a bit of a challenge, to be sure. There was definitely a humor element to the back and forth of this. I guess we do what we can.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 15
Apr 1, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 15
There was a guy awhile back on the Help and Recommendations board who was looking for a 'really good' dac/amp with a 'strict' budget of $10 (!). I just wanted to give him one of mine, really, I felt so bad for him. We told him he might want to put it all into earphones and wait until he had a bit more money for, you know, a proper dac/amp. He didn't want to do it. He wanted us to find him a 'great' dac/amp for ten bucks, damnit. I think he finally wound up adding another ten dollars and getting a pair of decent Chinese IEMs. His initial request was a bit of a challenge, to be sure. There was definitely a humor element to the back and forth of this. I guess we do what we can.

Yeah, we do see some funny requests some times! But you were right, you can find some impressively good headphones for $50, but I can't think of any decent amp under $40

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 15
Talk to postal workers about audio equipment.

Explain to a female roommate why exotic vintage headphones driven by a speaker amp and electret converter (with hundreds of volts in the headphone) is so much better than normal headphones.

Talk about headphones so often that you become predictable to all your friends. When you're about to speak, they interrupt with, "Lemme guess...headphones."

Talk about headphones so often that you become notorious on other headphone forums that you've never even joined.

Listen to headphones so often that you have next to no social life.

Describe audiophile terminology to people you meet.

Mention your custom title on Head-Fi to an audio dealer in a shop.

Talk to audio manufacturers/dealers via phone, email, etc.

Act as a non-paid advertising force by talking about audio gear so much on the Internet.

Audition headphones without buying them.

Buy, sell, trade, and return headphones and other gear on a frequent basis.

Instead of buying more important things (like a car), you get five figures worth of audio gear in the span of three months.

Dream about marrying a fellow audiophile.

...I've done all of these things. heh

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 15

Holy schiit, $10...

Apr 29, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #12 of 15
A lot of headfiers speculate on products they've never heard. In my old neighborhood, this would get your legs broken. Or at least a tiddie-twister.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 15
If I mentioned mine, I'd get run out as a pariah for not supporting the commercial conglomerates that pay their bills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back