Schiit Asgard 2, Lyr 1, or Valhalla 2 for HD700 (and possible upgrade to HD800)
Dec 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

audiofone

New Head-Fier
This is my first post to this website. I have searched other threads but still can't decide on the below.

I own the Sennheiser HD700 (just got them for a great price a couple weeks ago). I am looking for a desktop amp. I may upgrade to the HD800 sometime in the next year or so.

Which Schiit amp would best best for the HD700 and also the HD800? It seems people have favored one or the other - without much consistency. I would appreciate any opinions from those who have tried two or three of these amps with either Sennheiser. Thanks.

Here is what I've summarized from reading other posts...

Asgard 2 ($249) - Decent class A amp and has enough juice to run either headphone. Sonically, it is mostly neutral and has smooth treble response. 

Valhalla 2 ($349) - Full tube amp that is more solid state sounding with a bit a sparkle at the top end. Not as warm sounding as most tube amps. 

Lyr 1 -[size=12.7272720336914px] [/size]($349 on sale at Amazon) - The Lyr 2 is more $ than I would prefer to spend at the moment so I will focus on the first gen Lyr. The Lyr has plenty of power - even enough for orthodynamic phones. It's also fullest and warmest of the three. I have read there is a concern regarding noise floor. I also don't envision rolling the tubes, except perhaps an initial upgrade to something recommended for less than $50/pair.

My opinion of the HD700 is that it's mostly neutral and perhaps bit recessed in the mids while being a tad bright in the treble. An amp that smooths out the treble and provides a bit more weight to mids would seem to match best. Hence, the Lyr or perhaps the Asgard would pair best. But I know some people really favor the Valhalla 2 with the Senns!!!

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 3
I don't own any Sennheiser cans but I do own the Lyr 1. For $349 I think that's a great deal. It's really an awesome amp. I'm sure if you sift through the HD700/800 appreciate threads there will be some opinions about how the Senns match up with the Schiit amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back