SB Audigy 2 zs notebook REVIEW!!!!
Oct 31, 2004 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BPG

Head-Fier
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1684450,00.asp

enjoy
wink.gif

Since I'm a newbie could some one help me to interpret the specification data of audigy 2 (notebook) and echo indigo and tell me whick one is most powerful?

Thank you!

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
The extremely high IMD at 10 kHz measurment for 44.1/16 seems to indicate that this card resamples to 48KHz, like it's desktop brethren.

Mr N00B asks: And what does that mean in english?

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 10
CDs work at 44.1 KHz and DVDs work at 48KHz. Because Intel created the AC'97 audio specification in 1997 (I think) when DVDs were just catching on, they decided that to make all new soundcards DVD compatible they'd require them to support audio up to 48KHz. Since 44.1 and 48KHz are so close but different, it is hard to support both of them naitively in hardware and still make a cheap product, so almost all soundcard makers switch to resampling everything up to 48KHz to stay cheap, however most (including all of Creative's products since the SB Live) used poor algorithms and resampling 44.1 KHz to 48 KHz isn't easy, which results in distrotion (most evident when playing back pure sine waves). Creative's desktop cards not only resample to 48 KHz to be AC'97 compliant, but also because they have a DSP on their soundcards that doesn hardware audio processing, however the DSPs only support multiples of 48KHz and can't be bypassed (at least with Creative's drivers).

Nov 1, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 10
So the Echo indigo sounds better than Audigy 2 eventhough the Audigy 2 supports softwares such as THX and EAX? So I guess the Audigy 2 is better in games and movies and the Indigo is better in music, right?
But which one has the most powerful head amp?

Nov 1, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BPG
So the Echo indigo sounds better than Audigy 2 eventhough the Audigy 2 supports softwares such as THX and EAX? So I guess the Audigy 2 is better in games and movies and the Indigo is better in music, right?

Yes. Audigy2 = features, Indigo = sound quality.

Quote:

But which one has the most powerful head amp?

We can't tell that from the article. Output power was not measured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back