Saving Settings and Random in Foobar
Sep 12, 2004 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sygyzy

1000+ Head-Fier
These are the last things that annoys me about Foobar. I am hoping someone can help.

Is there any way to set random mode in foobar? I set Playback Order to Random but when I press Next, it just goes to the next track. I know what you are thinking, just press the Random button right? Sure, but that defeats the whole point of setting a random playback order. Also, when using Looks, there is no random button. You can just press Next Track. I also have a multimedia keyboard and when I press Next on that, I expect it to go to the next *random* track, not next track in the album. Any ideas?

Also, my Playback Preferences are not being saved. Any ideas? I always set it to 24bit Padded to 32bit. When I exit and come back, it is back to defaults. I always click on Save All.

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 15
Your playback preferences are not saved at all or just not displayed correctly when you check them?
I know on my system the settings are not displayed correctly but the mode is saved between sessions.

And for the first part of your question...... I would love to hear an answer cause that makes me nuts to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy
Is there any way to set random mode in foobar? I set Playback Order to Random but when I press Next, it just goes to the next track. I know what you are thinking, just press the Random button right? Sure, but that defeats the whole point of setting a random playback order. Also, when using Looks, there is no random button. You can just press Next Track. I also have a multimedia keyboard and when I press Next on that, I expect it to go to the next *random* track, not next track in the album. Any ideas?

The only thing you can do in this case: Playlist/Sort/Randomize. Then use "Next" for moving from one song to another.
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
The only thing you can do in this case: Playlist/Sort/Randomize. Then use "Next" for moving from one song to another.
wink.gif

I realize that. Pretty lame solution huh?

Sep 12, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
Your playback preferences are not saved at all or just not displayed correctly when you check them?
I know on my system the settings are not displayed correctly but the mode is saved between sessions.

And for the first part of your question...... I would love to hear an answer cause that makes me nuts to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not saved at all. For example I choose 24 bit padded to 32 and when I come back later (after a restart of the application), it shows nothing selected.

Sep 12, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

I realize that. Pretty lame solution huh?

It is
tongue.gif
. However I didn't find any better. You can contact Foobar developers or place a question on Foobar2000 Forum as well.

Sep 12, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Not saved at all. For example I choose 24 bit padded to 32 and when I come back later (after a restart of the application), it shows nothing selected.

i believe thats the way its supposed to be. same thing happens to me, but i know it is in fact working in 24/32 as when i try to play it with soundstorm it gives me an error (no such thing when i try in 16bit)

Sep 12, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Also, my Playback Preferences are not being saved. Any ideas? I always set it to 24bit Padded to 32bit. When I exit and come back, it is back to defaults. I always click on Save All.

Thanks.

It is quite easy to play random. Set Random on, go to preference and make a keyboard shortcut for [main] Playback/Random and [main] Playback/Next or Random (maybe only one is needed). So now when i press N (for my shortcut), it jumps to the next random song. Problem fixed, you can try to add global ctrl+alt+n for shortcut if you cant get it to work with your microsoft media keyboard.

24bit padded to 32 bits, i have the same too, but i think it is normal that it shows up nothing after you reload.

Sep 12, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 15
Yes, it is quite normal that 24 bit, padded to 32 shows up as blank when you go back in. That's been documented on these forums a number of times (not a slap at not using "search":, just a confirmation that you are not going insane....). Don't worry.

And yes, great keyboard suggestion on random/next. I just tried it; it works. Not an issue with me but thought I'd try it nonetheless.

Ted_B

Sep 12, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 15
How does the random button defeat the purpose of the random play option? With the option selected, whenever a song is done it goes to a random one. With the random button, it does it right then. Also, if you have random mode on, you can just hit stop/play if you have a multimedia keyboard like I.

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 15
MikoLayer -
Quote:

i believe thats the way its supposed to be. same thing happens to me, but i know it is in fact working in 24/32 as when i try to play it with soundstorm it gives me an error (no such thing when i try in 16bit)

What error does it give you? It plays fine for me and I have Soundstorm on an nForce2 board.

ducducpham -
Quote:

It is quite easy to play random. Set Random on, go to preference and make a keyboard shortcut for [main] Playback/Random and [main] Playback/Next or Random (maybe only one is needed). So now when i press N (for my shortcut), it jumps to the next random song. Problem fixed, you can try to add global ctrl+alt+n for shortcut if you cant get it to work with your microsoft media keyboard.

24bit padded to 32 bits, i have the same too, but i think it is normal that it shows up nothing after you reload.

Good tip Duduc. What does global do? Allow you to control it regardless of the active application? Does foobar have windows rights to do that? I know you can do keyboard shortcuts in control panel (globally) and inside each application, but I am not sure you could have one application define a "global" hotkey.

ted_b - Thanks for the tip. I was hoping I was not insane.

zachary80 -
Quote:

How does the random button defeat the purpose of the random play option? With the option selected, whenever a song is done it goes to a random one. With the random button, it does it right then. Also, if you have random mode on, you can just hit stop/play if you have a multimedia keyboard like I.

It defeats the purpose because it's counterintuitive. Maybe, instead, I should say that having the next button not randomize defeats the purpose. If I have random/shuffle mode on, it's logical that when I press next track. it should go to the next random track. Maybe it's just years of using other audio applications. For you, it's not an issue because you listen to songs in their entirety. I often skip to the next track if I am tired of a song or if it's fading towards the end. I assume there are a few others that do this too.

Sep 12, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 15
Global shortcut let u control regardless of what you windows you are on (e.g. surfing the new). It just require that you have foobar running in the background (dud :p). Any program can have windows rights to do that, even hackers can have windows rights
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #15 of 15
INFO (foo_output_asio(exe)) : open : 44100 Hz, LINEAR PCM, 32 bits, 2 channels
INFO (foo_output_asio(exe)) : ASIO device type [channel 0] : Int16LSB
INFO (foo_output_asio(exe)) : ASIO device type [channel 1] : Int16LSB
ERROR (foo_output_asio(exe)) : unsupported output data format.

again, i am not saying this is problematic as i have my nforce2 hooked up to my speakers and EMU-1212M to a pair of headphone amp / headphone (ppx3-6cg7 -> hd-580, ZEN -> cd-3000) this serves as an indication that verifies 24bit padded 32bit is working as intended. just making sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back