[Sale Buy] Recommendations ~100€ ($£) - List - No listening possible
Jul 20, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #16 of 24
Thank you both for your clear explanations. To be honest, I added the UE6000 because of the great review made by Tyll on innerfidelity, where he said (talking about the k550): "[COLOR=333333]This headphone was retired [of the wall of fame] due to the introduction of the UE6000, which I feel is a significantly more balanced sounding headphone."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I did not know the Soundmagic HP100 but I will take a look at it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]So basically, following your recommendations, I should go for the K550 (so far, I need to look at the Soundmagic or other if someone pops something else).[/COLOR]

For those prices honestly I don't think you could go wrong with any. And I think Tyll is awesome and does great work for the community but if you stay around this hobby you'll realize that he like warms headphones with a bit of bass boost and ressesssd treble with a darker warmer signature.

I do prefer the UE6000 to the M50s but agree that it is warm and dark, which would explain why Tyll liked them so much. I found that with a bit treble boost they are on par if not better than the Momentums. Plus the fit is better.

The seal on the K550s can be kinda a bother but I found I got used to it fairly easily after a bit of living with the headphones. I really don't like much about the M50 at all and I do think they sound too closed in and bloated but a lot of people swear by them which is why it's important to get several opinions and more importantly listen to stuff yourself, which in your case you can't do.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #17 of 24
I've looked at several reviews of the Soundmagic HP100 and I gotta say my choice is now on the HP100, or the K550 if I can't hit it. My main concern is that I tried to reach Soundmagic's website but it is unavailable. Does anyone have the same problem?

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #19 of 24
Still waiting for an answer from hifi-headphones for the HP100.

In the meantime, is there a significant difference between the k550 and the k551? Considering this thread, I guess the sound is pretty similar.
But if any of you tested both and could tell me, it could be nice (50%off, 80€, end of the month sale)

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #20 of 24
Hi all,

I had no answer from hifi-headphones for the HP100 and I saw a Focal Spirit Pro as new on Amazon for 130€ so I simply could not resist. If you are interested I may post my impressions before and after burn-in.

Thank you all for your help. 
atsmile.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #23 of 24
I finally received it (Problem with the delivery, but, as always, Amazon took perfectly care of the issue and offered the shipping
cool.gif
).

And my oh my it was a really great idea to ask you guys. The sound is flat but that is really good, because it sounds like it is supposed to sound. Every instrument is separated and you ear what is to be heard, not a conglomerate of unknown sound reproducing something close to what you want to hear - I hope I am clear enough and that you understand what I want to say ^^. They are not over-bassy or else either. Sure for rock or symphonic, this is a bit fatiguing (very clear sound) and bass-light, but for the rest this is just right. And I bet I can EQ them if I want to listen to "heavier" music.

The only thing if anyone wants to take this thread as a piece of advice for a future buy, be careful, the cups are REALLY small. Now that the foam is starting to shape, it is really comfortable (my old one was like clamps over my ears, so that's not really hard ^^) even if the pressure is still a bit high, but the first time I took them out of the box, I thought "What, my ears are small and I'm not even sure it will fit" Though this particularity along with a light headband make them super-light (280g instead of 300/320+ for any other in the category).

Head-fi-ly yours :)

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #24 of 24
Thanks for sharing that about the cup size. I have x-large ears, so it seems like they would be a problem for me. But certainly seems like they are a great headphone to fit your needs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back