SACD=WOW!
Jan 4, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #16 of 24
I have used sacd for almost a year and what I find most appealing is the shear listenability of the format. The sound is so smooth with none of the edge or glare present with cd. CD is much better than in the past; but once you listen to sacd and become familiar with its signature, you hear cds imperfections all to well. I recommend the Audioquest label for sacd if you like Blues. For classic rock the Stones have been covered, but dont miss the Creedence Clearwater Revival sacds, especially Cosmos Factory, as they are excellent. The only flaw with sacd may be dynamics, and once more people hear sacd I EXPECT THIS TO COME UP.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Myself, I feel sacd has more natural dynamics vs the overemphasized dynamics of cd, but this is just an opinion. However, when you first hear sacd, you may notice cd seems louder or faster. You will also notice this makes sacd smoother, less edgy and more listenable. Volume is not the issue though, nor the players output level; I have made detailed comparisons at matched levels. SACD is just more analog sounding and lacks the artifacts that give cd the quality I am trying to describe. When you become accustomed to sacd, if you switch back to cd, I hear a brightness or glare thats somehow intwined in the musics fabric.The sound seems louder; to loud and bright, and I want to turn it down.
I throw this out there because I wonder what everyone else will think or hear. Anyway, as the monicker says, I love sacd.
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #17 of 24
chadbang, my experience with SACD players is limited to my own XA777. That's more than you are willing to spend. Among SACD players reviewed by major audio mags, the Sony SCD-CE775 is highly rated at only $250.

Jan 18, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #21 of 24
Another WOW! I just finished comparing the SACD version of Willie Nelson's recording of "Stardust" and the CD version. Talk about no contest! The Cd sounded downright flat, dull and lifeless in comparison. I had always enjoyed the CD because it was recorded so well. But the SACD simply blows it away. There seems to be so much more information on the SACD, which translates into a much larger soundstage with ambience by the bucketload. I had my son listen as well, and he's not really into sound, but he had the same assessment. I hadn't yet mentioned my thoughts to him when he listened, and the first words out of his mouth when listening to the Cd were, "It sounds so flat."
Ya gotta love technolgy!
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Ya gotta love technolgy!
biggrin.gif

Especially technology that works as promised.

Have you heard "Blonde on Blonde" yet? You'll be in for a real treat if you haven't. I'm waiting for "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Blood on the Tracks" to be released.

Jan 18, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Have you heard "Blonde on Blonde" yet? You'll be in for a real treat if you haven't. I'm waiting for "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Blood on the Tracks" to be released.

It's on my list.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #24 of 24
SACD is good but vinyl is still better. The 333 is a great SACD and CD player for the $. You may want to try new ICs since this player can sound even better with good ICs. I really like the AZSR with it. I just can't get into SACD anymore since there is nothing out on SACD that I want. I've actually been using my DVD player a lot more listening to music DVDs while working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back