SACD & DVD-Audio
Oct 14, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 6
I've been checking CNN a lot this weekend due to the events in Bali. Today I noticed an article on new CD formats:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/1....ap/index.html

It struck me that the writer didn't know much anything at all, but I still thought you guys might want to read it.

Oct 14, 2002 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Interesting article.

However, in an attempt to be "fair", I felt the article left out the advantages of SACD over DVDA--namely, that SACD hybrid discs will soon be the norm, and that SACD WILL play (if its hybrid) in any CD player. This is a BIG advantage of SACD over DVDA, IMO.

Also, the clunky menu system of DVDA wasn't pointed out, nor was the fact that 5.1 mixes of DVDA are ALL at a lower resolution than 5.1 SACD mixes (inherent in the format).

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by dparrish
Interesting article.

However, in an attempt to be "fair", I felt the article left out the advantages of SACD over DVDA--namely, that SACD hybrid discs will soon be the norm, and that SACD WILL play (if its hybrid) in any CD player. This is a BIG advantage of SACD over DVDA, IMO.

Also, the clunky menu system of DVDA wasn't pointed out, nor was the fact that 5.1 mixes of DVDA are ALL at a lower resolution than 5.1 SACD mixes (inherent in the format).

The guy who wrote the article probably isn't aware of the lack of resolution on DVD-A. I think the article is just okay, not really going into the intrincacies of both formats, but just presenting them. It raises an interesting point, as you say, when touching the subject of hybrid SACD's. Somehow, the whole thing makes me wonder, as a reader, why wouldo Sony have a DVD player that supports SACD and not DVD-A, more related to DVD video than the other format.

Anyway, I think SACD has the edge over DVD-A with the hybrid discs. But don't take my word for it. I used to think that Philips DCC was a better choice than MD, just because I could play my old tapes on a DCC deck
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back