running two sound cards
Aug 30, 2004 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Puddleglum

100+ Head-Fier
Now I'm thinking about running two sound cards. I've got an audigy2 for games, and will probably pick up one of those chaintech cards, or a used terratec DMX 6Fire. First, how does it work getting two sound cards to work under either linux or windows2000? Second, Does the Terratec compare to the likes of the emu 0404?

Aug 30, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 5
I have an Audigy 2 card and am only keeping it in for the occassional DVD-A, and just bought and installed the Chaintech as well. I, however, have Windows XP, which may be a bit more forgiving of two cards. I haven't had one problem. For a while I ran the Audigy2 as my default Windows sound card and had the rear speakers connected to it so I could hear Windows errors, etc while running the Chaintech for Foobar (kernel streaming, hi sample output, 24/96, SSRC resampler). The reason I did this is because the Chaintech, as the default or primary card, would interrupt a song whenever Windows sounds were triggered. However, my solution now is make the Chaintech the default, remove most of the Windows sounds from my list (the pc mobo still beeps if mail comes in, etc.) and have the Audigy sitting there idle until I need to use it. So far no conflicts, and the Chaintech runs the udial sound test perfectly. Oh, and it sounds great!

Ted_B

Aug 30, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't know about Linux, but in XP (and I'd think 2000 as well), all you have to do is select "Primary Sound something" in "Control Panel" --> "Sounds". I've had both SB Live! 5.1 and AV-710 in at the same time before...

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ted_b
However, my solution now is make the Chaintech the default, remove most of the Windows sounds from my list (the pc mobo still beeps if mail comes in, etc.) and have the Audigy sitting there idle until I need to use it. So far no conflicts, and the Chaintech runs the udial sound test perfectly. Oh, and it sounds great!

Ted, just how much of a difference did you notice when listening to music through the AV-710 as opposed to the Audigy 2?

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Ted, just how much of a difference did you notice when listening to music through the AV-710 as opposed to the Audigy 2?

On headphones (Sennheiser HD580's) it's made a tremendous difference, as much as cd to SACD would on a good system with a good SACD. More detail, more air, more dynamics, with better, tighter bass. The 24/96 capability is well-done; the cymbals shimmer on most good recordings. On the Audigy 2 they sounded like MP3's. Noise has been reduced the most, however.

On my pc speakers (Altec Lansing) the difference is less stark, but quantifiable. I say 30-40% better.

I can't compare running through my Scott Nixon Tubedac+ to my home system (Ray Samels Emmeline Stealth II, Krell, VMPS RM/X's) because the Audigy2 was not a good spdif card (poor upsampling to 48k). I haven't pulled my pc back into the music room yet, but plan to this week-end.
Ted_B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back