Routing cables
Oct 2, 2022 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Terriero

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know if this topic has been dealt here before, if so I apologize for that.

I want to route properly all the cables from different devices within my desk, not like a mess of cables, and I wonder if I can route together my XLR active monitor cables with other cables like USBs or power cables without issues (interferences or something similar).

I plan to route all USB cables, except the one from my AIO, together from the different devices to the computer, but I don't know if there is any problem routing the XLR cables from my active monitors near the power cables of them or the USB cable from my AIO or I have to route them separately.

For additional info, all my cables are the stock ones from their devices and the XLR cables are some 3 meter Fender ones I bought in a Pro audio shop a few years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 6
Not sure if this answers your question @Terriero but I route anything that carries power separate and away from everything else.

It's an old habit from car audio where power would run down the driver side and RCA and speaker wires would run down the other. In the case where a speaker is on the driver side, I would cross that power wire perpendicularly.

And I've tried that the other way to see if it made a difference... Power and shielded RCAs on the same side. Always a degree of alternator whine or other noise when I've tried it.

Of course this isn't a car, but I still do it for my home setup. Any signal wire that must cross power, I do it perpendicularly and only if it can't be avoided. But I generally keep everything as separated as possible.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 6
I don't know if this topic has been dealt here before, if so I apologize for that.

I want to route properly all the cables from different devices within my desk, not like a mess of cables, and I wonder if I can route together my XLR active monitor cables with other cables like USBs or power cables without issues (interferences or something similar).

I plan to route all USB cables, except the one from my AIO, together from the different devices to the computer, but I don't know if there is any problem routing the XLR cables from my active monitors near the power cables of them or the USB cable from my AIO or I have to route them separately.

For additional info, all my cables are the stock ones from their devices and the XLR cables are some 3 meter Fender ones I bought in a Pro audio shop a few years ago.

Thanks in advance.
You mean something like this?
20221002_235638.jpg
I guess it's case by case but I personally never had interference/noise issues. And I don't use expensive cables. Most are plugged into this under my desk.
20221003_000958.jpg

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 6
I run everything from my computer through those vacuum cleaner tube things. Nothing gets close enough to cause trouble. If there is a problem, you'll hear it, but those sorts of problems aren't as common today as they were thirty years ago.

Car stereos would be completely different.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks a lot :beerchug:

Nowadays, I use to route all the cables together without issues, but I plan to move my desk to other place (and install again my active monitors) and want to do it more aesthetically, but to do it once and don't have issues. Something like these pics when I lived with my parents (I had time for that...)... Seems like something similar @bigshot commented (with those vacuum cleaner tubes):

Cableado-bajo-escritorio.jpg

Conjunto.jpg

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 6
As a general rule of thumb, you should not run power cables parallel and next to signal cables and if they need to cross, they should do so perpendicularly, as @msing539 stated.

On the other hand, the power cables are not carrying very much power, the cables are not very long and the differential signalling in your XLR cables provides high immunity from such potential interference. So it’s very unlikely you’ll have any issues with your speaker signals. If your USB cables are near the max recommended length and of particularly poor quality, you *might* have some issues.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back