Room shape, speaker placement and resonant chambers. Can anyone help?
Jan 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shark_Jump

100+ Head-Fier
The sound from my floorstander speakers sounds a bit dead over some frequencies, like they are being attenuated by my room geometry.

Any advice that would help me to get rid of the deadening effect my room is having on my sound would be greatly appreciated.

How do you tell if its room shape, speaker placement or another problem (carpet etc.) that is causing these effects? I notice if I go to other rooms in my house I can hear them resonate when I play music. These other rooms appear to be acting like resonant chambers and 'sucking' the sound energy from my listening room. Is there software that can predict these unwanted room acoustic characteristics?

LISTENING ROOM GEOMETRY: Rectangular and open at the shorter sides to the kitchen and patio respectively. My speakers are placed halfway along one of the longer walls, so one speaker is near the corner of the room and the other is near the middle. There is door midway along the other long wall opposite the speakers, which leads to a corridor off which are all the other rooms.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 5
Every room is different, size, shape, construction, contents, speaker placement, the best way to start the process of better sound and room interaction is to educate yourself on what is happening and what can be done to correct problems. Below are several sites that have good free information that can get you started.

Try Acoustic Treatment and Soundproofing for High End Audio Applications, and Rives Audio Home page.

Good luck on your journey

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Shark Jump, You never described if you were using any room treatments like tube traps or accoustic pannels or even you lps/cd collections, to act as sound absorbers or reflecters.. Many times wall hangings curtains etc. can do alot to help with the sound "Dancin' Around" your room before it gets to you in your "sweet spot"!! Now I'm a firm believer in MASS LOADING my equipment, especially speakers...It might not meet the W.A.F. but I have at least 35-40 pounds of brass weight on my monitors..I also mass load my tube amps trannies...you get my point...I don't want anything adding to the drivers movements or vibrations! Their movements/vibrations are the sounds you should be hearing......It takes a good bit of time and some money for differant room treatments but you will be rewarded with the musical truth when you get things dialed in.....good luck......Oh!, 883dave gave you some great advice and some good reading...try it!

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for all your help and the links. It looks like I am at the start of a long learning curve.

Oh, and it looks like my lavatory is acting as a Helmholtz resonator, I must admit I find that a little disturbing. :)

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back