Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" question
Mar 23, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
No offense taken and yes, totally kidding.

There is no Bombay whiskey (that I know of) and troubador is, indeed, nothing like a doorman or a sneaky trash man, whatever that means. I was shooting for a humorous Jim Anchower-kind of loser, stoner sounding response. It seemed funny to me until I realized the OP was doing research for his college paper.

Vicious Tyrant for member of the year
biggrin.gif
Good one, dood.

Oh, while I'm at it, the correct answer is:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
Some say troubadours refer to The Beatles. They became mystical in their song writing after going to India, losing touch with reality and the commom man.

I know, because I was actually alive back then ...

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #17 of 21
Vicious tyrant--LOL

I figured you just were drunk
smily_headphones1.gif

But there *is* Bombay gin, by Bacardi (2 brands actually: "Bombay Gin" and "Bombay Sapphire"), which gave some weight to your statement.

It's not for a paper, just something he asked us to figure out for the sake of it, so no worries there.

dknightd and agile_one, thanks!
icon10.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
Also, when he rode a tank, did the devil hold a generous rank, or a general's rank?

i always understood it to be "General's rank"
(which then of course made me wonder if Jagger was referring to some general in particular)

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #19 of 21
IIRC that's in the blitzkrieg passage? He must mean Heinz Guderian.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #20 of 21
To defend Herr Guderian's honour, I'd like to point out that he was not a member of the Nazi party. In fact, he was a professional soldier, and had been in the service of his country since 1907. He was relieved of command briefly on Christmas day, 1941 for disobeying a direct order from Hitler. He was later given even higher ranks, but was eventually dismissed again by Hitler after a series of arguments between himself and Hitler. He was never accused of any war crimes after the war. I really don't think this man was the general in this song!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back