Roksan Corus cartridge
May 20, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 4
I've used this cartridge, and subsequently replaced it with a Denon DL-103R. I greatly prefer the Denon. However, I should note the Roksan Corus is MM, while the Denon is a low output MC. I still have the Roksan nicely packaged away somewhere, drop me a pm...

I find the Denon gives me lots more detail and refinement, compared to the Roksan, when paired with my TT (tweaked up Rega P25) and preamp (My Odyssey Tempest's pre has a very nice phone stage that accomodates both MC and MM.). There's tons of carts out there, don't know your price range, tonearm compliance, etc. You might consider trying the cartridge database on The Vinyl Engine, nice site for all things vinyl.

May 23, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 4
My Orbe SE/SME IV is connected to an EAR 834P tube phono stage, which can run MC cartridges but prefers MMs. I was using an Ortofon Rohmann which is as good an MC cartridge as any I know at any price, but I didn't think the phono stage made the best use of it, so I was looking for a good MM cartridge. I bought a Roksan Corus and found that it sounded a little thin and bright, and somewhat analytical. Not actually bad, it just lacked any emotion and sounded like a cheapish CD player. I replaced it with a Grado Prestige Gold (I don't like the wooden ones) and the sound is wonderful - warm, rich and smooth, if lacking a little detail. In other words, I cannot recommend the Roksan Corus, unless your tastes run to the bright and analytical side of things.

May 23, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 4
I am using the Shelter 201 MM to great effect. On my system (Thorens TD125 Mkii hotrodded, Jelco arm, Cambrigde 640p into Sugden A21a) it's producing an airyness that I frankly hadn't expected. Highs are well balanced, bass is substantial and quite well defined, and mids are just wonderful. And at 200 US$ shipped, it's a bargain, too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back