Rigor Mortis Triple.FI
Aug 27, 2008 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Usagi

1000+ Head-Fier
I've enjoyed my Triple.Fi immensely during its tenure in my portable lineup. The sound and fit are pleasing to my ears, but I've noticed the cord progressively stiffening over time. Inflexibility is most noticeable from the Y-splitter to the monitors.

This has become quite annoying because the stiffened cord pushes/lifts the memory-wire hook off the ear lobe and rotates the monitor. Is this a sign of a cadaverous audio cord? Does this generally indicate that a replacement is needed? I've always wondered what a Valhalla with rice-paper sheathing would sound like with the Triple.Fi.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 9
It looks like some guy and girl are making efforts on DIY UE recabling in this thread
icon10.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioJUNK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like some guy and girl are making efforts on DIY UE recabling in this thread
icon10.gif

OoooohhHH, very nice indeed, but where's the rice-paper sheathing?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Usagi, just out of complete curiosity, how long have you had your triples/how long has that cable lasted you? Although the triple fi's have that great facility of replaceable cables, I havn't heard much yet about ppl needing to replace em lol (but I've only been a triple fi owner for a few weeks!)

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usagi, just out of complete curiosity, how long have you had your triples/how long has that cable lasted you? Although the triple fi's have that great facility of replaceable cables, I havn't heard much yet about ppl needing to replace em lol (but I've only been a triple fi owner for a few weeks!)

Hello BloodSugar00,

I purchased my TF in early May. This equates to almost 4 months. I think temperature change might be attributing to the increased stiffness. I left them in a hot vehicle a few times. This might have induced the physical change to the wire.

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello BloodSugar00,

I purchased my TF in early May. This equates to almost 4 months. I think temperature change might be attributing to the increased stiffness. I left them in a hot vehicle a few times. This might have induced the physical change to the wire.

Thanks. As I say, curiosity killed the cat, but 4 month is still ok lifespan and as you say I think the temperature thing will have played a significant part in their degradation.

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello BloodSugar00,

well not the wire but the sheathing. have you tried to rejuvenate the plastic by applying any type of conditioner? this may go a long way to extend the life. the heat may have evaporated some chemicals in the plastic. like the dashboard of a car.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate6955 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well not the wire but the sheathing. have you tried to rejuvenate the plastic by applying any type of conditioner? this may go a long way to extend the life. the heat may have evaporated some chemicals in the plastic. like the dashboard of a car.

That's an error in thinking. Heat won't bother a vinyl dashboard so long as there isn't any chemicals put on it, like Armor All and such. When these types of chemicals are applied to the dashboard and then the DB is exposed to sunlight, heat will build up under the chemical and cook the vinyl. That's when the dash will begin to crack and peal and all sorts of bad things.

The absolute only thing a DB needs is a little mild dish soap and water to wipe it clean. Nothing els. The chemicals make it look pretty but that's the only good they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back