Right click for spell check in message reply window
Jun 10, 2010 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
One quick note - when I'm typing a message, it will give me the little red squiggly underline if there is a word that's misspelled, but when I right-click on that word, it just brings up a cut/copy/paste menu - normally (as in the old version) when you right click on one of these words, it brings up a list of options to correct the word with. It would be nice to get this back.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 7
If you hit control and right click it will give you the spell check words. Its a little more cumberson but it works.

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't like how the editor steals the right-click either.  It shouldn't do that.
Ctrl+right-click gets around the problem, but knowing that sort of geek knowledge shouldn't be necessary to use the editor.

There's a lot that I don't like about the message editor.  Messing up the normal behavior of the right-click is just one of my complaints. 

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
If you hit control and right click it will give you the spell check words. Its a little more cumberson but it works.

KingStyles is correct:  CTRL + rightclick will work (CMD + rightclick in Mac.  He's also right about it being a little more cumbersome.

Quote:
I don't like how the editor steals the right-click either.  It shouldn't do that.
Ctrl+right-click gets around the problem, but knowing that sort of geek knowledge shouldn't be necessary to use the editor.

There's a lot that I don't like about the message editor.  Messing up the normal behavior of the right-click is just one of my complaints. 

I agree, Ham Sandwich.  Revisions to the text-editing interface(s) are among my most desired (and, thus, most pushed-for) changes.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:

I agree, Ham Sandwich.  Revisions to the text-editing interface(s) are among my most desired (and, thus, most pushed-for) changes.

The text editing behavior might be a Yahoo thing (I believe the text editor is using yahooapis).  The Yahoo email message editor also likes to steal the right-click.  But the Yahoo email editor is worse, once it starts stealing the right-click you can't fix it by using CTRL+rightclick.  I don't think Yahoo is on the same page as me when it comes to UI and features.

The email editor for Hotmail and Gmail are better behaved.  They don't steal the right-click or even use the right-click.  I like the way they handle spell check better.  Cut and paste work better.  They also don't suffer typing lag the way Yahoo does.

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, this is really annoying. Especially since control-clicking the word do not bring up the correct menu either.
Hence I need other ways to figure out the right spelling of the word.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 7
I enfd up double clicking the right button which always brings up the spell check. Single clicking it gives you a 50/50 shot of getting the spell check or the cut paste menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back