Reviews on the Best Soundcard VS the best DACs on the market now
Aug 3, 2003 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kaiwei

100+ Head-Fier
High-End Analogue Soundcard Shootout: LynxTWO, RME DIGI96/8 PAD and Delta 1010 (LONG)

Soundcard 1: RME DIGI96/8 PAD £270
Soundcard 2: M-Audio Delta1010, costs £400
Soundcard 3: LynxTWO model B, costs £900
Control point 1: dCS Delius 24/192 D/A Converter, costs £6,000
Control point 2: Lexicon MC-12B Music & Cinema Processor, costs £9,000

I hope this clears almost all of the recent questions popping up about soundcards & "audiophile equipment".

AVS Link

Aug 3, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwei

Soundcard 1: RME DIGI96/8 PAD £270
Soundcard 2: M-Audio Delta1010, costs £400
Soundcard 3: LynxTWO model B, costs £900
Control point 1: dCS Delius 24/192 D/A Converter, costs £6,000
Control point 2: Lexicon MC-12B Music & Cinema Processor, costs £9,000

Odd they used Delius. Not sure about the recent Lexicon either. (its predecessor was pretty aweful as a stand alone Cd playback )

Aug 3, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Wow RME preferred to Delius in many tests - nicely done. The only serious question in my mind are how good of a digital signal these cards can provide compared to the caliber of transport a Delius would normally be connected to. I know they stated that the Delius was controlling the master clock, therefore 'eliminating all jitter' - but this comparison would hold alot more water for me if they used a transport in the same league as the Delius for their comparisons.

This guy's system isn't exactly overqualified for this comparison either - but far from awful most likely. The only big problem I see is that the Infinity speakers he used are very high end speakers intended for the Home Theater market - not the audiophile market.

-dd3mon

Aug 3, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
Wow RME preferred to Delius in many tests - nicely done. The only serious question in my mind are how good of a digital signal these cards can provide compared to the caliber of transport a Delius would normally be connected to. I know they stated that the Delius was controlling the master clock, therefore 'eliminating all jitter' - but this comparison would hold alot more water for me if they used a transport in the same league as the Delius for their comparisons.

Transport used and interface used greatly influence the performance of DAC, indeed.
However, I share the same impression as his assessment of Delius or dcs digital gear.
I've used my Krell kps25's transport along with Delius and Purcell ( upsampler ). In spite kps25's original 20 bit DAC with NO upsampling, the combination of dcs was rather dissapointing. Sounded too mellifluous and rosy for my taste.

Granted, I have heard other combinations with dcs gear, and some faired lot better than in my own rig. ( Mark Levinson CD39 as a transport as well as dcs' own ) Yet, overall presentation did not vary much.

Not a bad DAC per se, but when you get up to *silly* range hi-end components, quite often it reflects particular designer's personal sonic preference and they tend to have a rather strong flavor of thier own and might not suite everyone's taste.

Aug 3, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
I know they stated that the Delius was controlling the master clock, therefore 'eliminating all jitter'

Can such a statement as "eliminating all jitter" actually be made?

Hmm... I must investigate this RME. I may have to get one to try it out.

Aug 3, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Can such a statement as "eliminating all jitter" actually be made?

Hmm... I must investigate this RME. I may have to get one to try it out.

That's kind of what I was getting at - I think he took some things for granted.

Please let us know about the RME if you get your hands on one, it's not Revo-cheap (I found a couple places selling it for about $425), but it's certainly not dCS-style cash
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back