Review of Philips DVD 963SA in Audiophile Voice Magazine
Aug 7, 2003 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
Did any of you guys happen to read the current issue of The Audiophile Voice? In it the reviewer (an avid and admitted analog fan) just raves over the 963 and compares it $5000 players which he says it outperforms.He goes on to say it has a most analog sound and that there is nothing under $2000.00 that sounds better to him.He says that in his $11,000 system the 963 was not out of place and was not a weak link.

I'll add (without spilling the beans about my soon to be posted universal player shootout) that the 963 has continued to suprise me,though I have found the limits of it's performance in some ways.It's still a killer player and nothing comes close for the money.I know a bunch of folks who have a hard time believing that a $400 player performs this well.It does.

Aug 7, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 10
Lots of ppl in this forum love 963SA too.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2003 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 10
I subscribe to Audiophile Voice and everything they review seems better than whatever else is in that price range; think Stereo Review. This particular reviewer had never heard an sacd before listening to the 963sa and has not compared it to any other sacd players. He refers to his digital referance as from the digital stone age, and gives no clue what he has compared the 963 sa to with cd's, other than his ancient referance. I am sorry but this review had little substance and a lot of hype. I have had a 963 sa for about a month now and I put the sound quality on par with an unmodded sony 222es. I think it is a very good player for the money, especially the dvd feature, but as an audio player being compared to under $2000 units it just doesnt cut it. Suffice to say, when my subscription runs out to the Audiophile Voice I wont be renewing it.

Aug 7, 2003 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 10
I heard it at the NY show, admittedly very briefly, but while it did sound good for the price (it is worth the asking price, that's for sure) it just was blown away by the audiophile players at the show (Cary CD player and ML/Sony combo).

Aug 7, 2003 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I heard it at the NY show, admittedly very briefly, but while it did sound good for the price (it is worth the asking price, that's for sure) it just was blown away by the audiophile players at the show (Cary CD player and ML/Sony combo).

i agree.

[edit]:

"In it the reviewer (an avid and admitted analog fan) just raves over the 963 and compares it $5000 players which he says it outperforms."

heh, i can't help but read that and laugh my ass off. thanks for setting the record straight, sacd lover.

Aug 7, 2003 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
This particular reviewer had never heard an sacd before listening to the 963sa and has not compared it to any other sacd players. He refers to his digital referance as from the digital stone age, and gives no clue what he has compared the 963 sa to with cd's, other than his ancient referance. I am sorry but this review had little substance and a lot of hype...

Well, there you go. Sounds a little shallow to me.

Aug 7, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 10
I have had the 963SA for about 6 months and for $400 I have been pleased. I do believe however that it is a lot better DVD player than CD or SACD. The video performance is ahead of machines that cost far more.

I have found some areas where it is lacking. The most apparent is very loud bass. It cannot handle this well and you hear distortion. To hear this play the gladiator soundtrack. I think it is track 3 that is the real loud intense one. When the large horns play it sounds distorted. It occurs a little over 3 minutes into the track.

Aug 7, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 10
So when is the universal player shootout review coming? The great thing about universal players is they allow you room to put more stuff on your audio rack. I hope there is some great ones that hit the market in a year or two. I wonder when the technology will allow the universal to compete with good decdicated cd players of today at redbook playback?

Aug 7, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 10
I'll stick with my opinion from day one. Redbook on the 963SA just doesn't do it for me. Haven't listened to SACD playback on it.
DVD on it is so good it's worth the price on it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back