REVIEW: KingRex USB DAC UD-01 and PSU
Dec 17, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #16 of 26
This is Mike from audio-magus.com.

Just wanted to let you know that we have all KingRex gear on sale and a package price for the PSU and DAC of $330.

Also, we just came out with a power filter to get better performance out of wall-wart supplies. Skylab, let me know if you want to give it a try and we'll send you one.

Generally, we've found that the best performance with any 12VDC DAC comes from an SLA battery supply. Both audiomagus and KingRex make them, but it is an easy (and inexpensive) DIY project. Well worth it for a dead quiet background.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #17 of 26
Hearing this i am definately glad i got the UD-01.
biggrin.gif
Got my PSU on the way, order has been placed... Cant wait!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubsand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of us auditioned a UD-01 with the PSU just after the DacMagic came out and the KingRex was much better in every way (with 16 bit files, at least). It's just a different animal with the PSU.

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 26
After buying a CryoParts USB cable and hearing the difference it makes, I'm wondering how much these low end USB DACS are being held back by the standard cable: the UD-01 sounds a clear notch up in terms of top end extension and presence with the more expensive cable.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #20 of 26
I`m pondering this dac at the moment. Found out they`re actually being imported to Norway by a person, so I can actually pick up the dac + psu today (well, not today but tomorrow anyways) for aprox 530 usd. Going to use it paired to a soon-inc Head-Direct EF-1 and Grado RS1. The reason for the high price is probably the 25% tax-increase on everything thats valued over 35ish USD, and the shipping. The only thing is, this IS getting rather expensive, so Im wondering if there is something else I should get instead thats "nearly" as good for way less cash. My source will be my pc, with FLAC files.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 26
You might want to look into the Firestone Audio FUBAR - it's nice for the money, DAC only.

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 26
I am a newbie in this hobby. I went for a separate dac amp to run with a AHD5000 from Denon that I am waiting for.

After reading for several months what options I could get I receive a sugestion from a local retailer for the KingRex DAC and for the PSU in alternative to DacMagic that I was planning to get. Based on the review from Slylab I went for a try. I am now at home enjoying my music from my laptop running a Sheneiser 238 hooked on a RegaEar/ KingRex DAC and PSU. I am amazed. It is very good and I am just waiting for the D5K. I am not very exprienced so I can not compare this set with others but I can tell you that it sounds really good.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From that same site, regarding the PSU:

Audiomagus - high end not high priced audio products

I cannot vouch for that seller - never used them, but that is where I got the pricing.

I've done a lot of business at Audiomagus and really like them. If they stock something I want to buy they are my first choice.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elfenau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a newbie in this hobby. I went for a separate dac amp to run with a AHD5000 from Denon that I am waiting for.

After reading for several months what options I could get I receive a sugestion from a local retailer for the KingRex DAC and for the PSU in alternative to DacMagic that I was planning to get. Based on the review from Slylab I went for a try. I am now at home enjoying my music from my laptop running a Sheneiser 238 hooked on a RegaEar/ KingRex DAC and PSU. I am amazed. It is very good and I am just waiting for the D5K. I am not very exprienced so I can not compare this set with others but I can tell you that it sounds really good.

I had a Kingrex T20U amp for awhile and it was an EXCELLENT unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back