REVIEW: BALANCED POWER TECHNOLOGIES BP.Jr II ULTRA (SIGNATURE UPGRADES) & L-10 A/C
Apr 16, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
power conditioners and power cords should be auditioned before purchase.

i definitely agree with that. i also suggest trying the new power conditioner for a while, switching back to whatever was used before for a couple weeks, and then going back to the new power conditioner. i find that differences "pop" a little more with that.

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #17 of 30
Just wanted to go on record here with some new information. I have been fiddling with my reference system and I have been doing informal A-B-A-B-A-B comparisons of the stock cables without the BPT components and the Cardas cables with the BPT components. I don't think I can hear any differences. In other words, I am not so sure anymore if the BPT components are delivering greater "blackgrounds" and clarity or resolution. Likewise, I am having a hard time hearing any differences between the typical reviews of my Cardas Golden Reference cables and my stock 18AWG zip A/C along with Blue Jeans Cables Stereo RCA cables. By nature, I am neither a subjectivist 110% nor an objectivist 110% either. I thought to let everybody know this. I have been struggling to hear any differences for a few days and I have reiterated my findings privately with Wmcmanus through a private message. I may change my review to reflect my findings, but I have work and a USPS 473 Exam this week.

I don't think I am inexperienced when it comes to high end headphone high fidelity. I don't think I am a terrible audio writer or a writer in general. I don't think that my equipment is sub-par and it lacks resolution -- or do I. I am beginning to think that like many consumers of our hobby, I have been pre-conditioned to believe in professional reviews as a preset before I own the equipment myself. This seems to be even more so reinforced by my recent findings which have become the crux of this reply post with regard to cables and power conditioners.

I had the same results when I owned the PS Audio xStream Plus A/C. I could barely hear any differences between that A/C and stock cords, but I went on to write my review anyway. It was archived. I am really beginning to think that I ought to revise my BPT review. Look, part of the reason why I skimped on the performance of my reference system when it was hooked up to the BPT components is contained in this reply post. I was not sure if I heard any improvements whatsoever. So, I made general statements based upon references to other published BPT reviews as a sort of temporary solution to a dilemma I was facing.

I know how unreliable A-B-A-B-A-B tests are, but you have to realize that I have no access to other control / variable test subjects or a scientific laboratory to conduct proper double blind ABX tests either. So, I am doing what I see 90% of other hobbyists turned professional reviewers are doing: informal sighted testing for subjective listening conclusions. I am telling you right now that I can not reliably detect any major differences by the time I am doing the final A-B tests.

May 31, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 30
I am bumping this thread for others to re-read. I feel this was the turning point in my audiophile career. I hope it will be of some use to members both new and old as the topic of which power conditioner -- and if they do deliver upon their promised results -- is perennial and I think that should begin to be questioned.

Jun 1, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #20 of 30
My equipment is more modest. I have the Monster Power HTS 3500 MkII and I can honestly say that I can not tell anydiference in sound quality.

In my case I paid +/-$175 delivered and since I needed a surge protector anyways this fits the bill (although a much larger bill).

Jun 1, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #21 of 30
Any way of making this review sticky....man, you got the first vote to stick it....

MODS would you mind to make it sticky!!!!

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #22 of 30
Why would this become a sticky?
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Why would this become a sticky?
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

And why not?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Or is that we only stick one review when it says what the audiophile world wants to hear? That is his truth, that same way the others are their truth...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
And why not?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

rolleyes.gif

Regardless of my own opinions, the "review" is 5 lines long and then there is about a page and a half of marginally relevent information. I think with some serious editing this could be stickiable.

On to my own opinions I own an unmodded version of the PC and can hear a significant difference in the sound. Different strokes...

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
Regardless of my own opinions, the "review" is 5 lines long and then there is about a page and a half of marginally relevent information. I think with some serious editing this could be stickiable.

On to my own opinions I own an unmodded version of the PC and can hear a significant difference in the sound. Different strokes...

It could be even shorter (if it was mine) You do not need to write too much of what you do not hear, he does not hear any differeces, and all the info he gave you is about the equipment used, the music used, and some explanation about the phenomena behind the power conditioning, but what else you want him to write about??? Or is that you want him to begin with the same blah blah blah as the rest that I have read...that at the end said the same, and does not make any of them more believable to me, just because they are longer...

This is a way to understand and show to the audiophile world, that both fields exist, and could live together with no harm intented, at the end the objective is the same to enjoy this hobby...period...

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #26 of 30
I have an idea for a better sticky: "Trust your own ears, not the reviews."

There ya go Sovkiller, quick and to the point, and I didn't even make it up.

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #27 of 30
I guess I didn't make myself clear. Its not that I think the review should be any longer, its fine the way it is. But I do think there is a lot of stuff that could be cutdown such as previously owned equipment, electrical warnings, and the explanation of the way power conditioning works could be cut in half, other than that I think its a fine review.

I'm not quite sure why you are so hostile as this has nothing to do with personal opinions on the device. Please do not turn this into a "me vs you", put words in my mouth, or throw around words like "truth" instead of opinion.

It appears Thaddy and my opinions diverge quite a bit although he is being pretty vague. Please remember its a DBT-free forum. Dont turn this into a flame fest fellas...

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #28 of 30
It seems to me though that this really isn't a review of a piece of gear. Wouldn't something like this be more useful in every forum?

edit: To clarify, I think his line of thinking should be adopted to be a 'warning' to those interested in power conditioning, power cables, etc... Mainly because this hobby is so subjective, the only way to find out is to try it yourself. Buying gear strictly based off of reviews is quite risky.

Jun 1, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
I guess I didn't make myself clear. Its not that I think the review should be any longer, its fine the way it is. But I do think there is a lot of stuff that could be cutdown such as previously owned equipment, electrical warnings, and the explanation of the way power conditioning works could be cut in half, other than that I think its a fine review.

Believe me, there is a lot useful info that needs to be pointed out once in a while. Here we have a lot of folks that consider themselves "audiophiles" just becasue they spend money like nuts, following those reviews, written by Mr. X, that is an authority in audio (title usually given by themselves, or another bunch of idiots) and has no clue of how things work, or are intended to work, and why in some circumstances you will not hear any benefit...

The best way to get tangible results in audio, is to get all the info you may need first...My opinion in power conditioners is: the first question: Do you really need it? If you do, the second, What problems do you actually have? Could you fix them conditioning the power? What kind of conditioner is the best suited for your particular problem(s)? Once you get all those answers, and not before, then go and find out what is your best choise inside your budget, and if your budget will not let you treat what you really need to, better save and get better power supplies in your gear. But to get this or that one just becasue someone else get it and say it is good is rather stupid IMHO.....

Quote:

There ya go Sovkiller, quick and to the point, and I didn't even make it up.

You can count with me on that one!!!! I always do...But honestly is good to know that we are not alone...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

It is a sticky. It's in my sig.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back