Review: Audience aR4 Power Conditioner
Mar 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #16 of 19
shokunin, my review was not at all trying to convey that the Audience has a euphonic character at the expense of imaging and layering of soundstage. Exactly the opposite! My point about “shimmer” was specifically related to micro detail. This is one of the undeniable downsides to subjective opinions – everyone reacts differently. Remember, I am comparing the Audience PC to no PC at all. Now, whether the Powercell 10SE is better still is a different point, that I can’t comment on. However, I’d have thought, pricewise, a fairer comparison would have been for the 10SE to be compared to Audience’s T models.

Regarding the Audience’s power cord – there doesn’t seem to be much love for that around here. Because it’s the only one I’ve tried, I can’t comment on what may be better. But I do stand by my subjective comments in my review – for which the power cord was an integral part. Compared to what I had before, the total package was a huge improvement, so the power cord couldn’t have been that bad. And other reviewers who gave a positive rating to the PC, have also given a positive rating to the power cord. Could it be improved upon? Quite possibly, but none of us can be sure of that until they try their favourite cord in this particular application.

brat, I don’t think one can infer that a product like a Stax amp has necessarily a bad power supply section just because it is most improved by a PC. The effects of PCs and power cords have been widely reported across a huge range of differently priced main components. It could just as easily be argued that the Stax system benefited more because it was simply more transparent and higher resolving than your other system. To find out for sure would take more time and effort than I’m prepared to go for.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAttorney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shokunin, my review was not at all trying to convey that the Audience has a euphonic character at the expense of imaging and layering of soundstage. Exactly the opposite! My point about “shimmer” was specifically related to micro detail. This is one of the undeniable downsides to subjective opinions – everyone reacts differently. Remember, I am comparing the Audience PC to no PC at all. Now, whether the Powercell 10SE is better still is a different point, that I can’t comment on. However, I’d have thought, pricewise, a fairer comparison would have been for the 10SE to be compared to Audience’s T models.

Power conditioners are the by far the most dependent on the YMMV continuum. Mainly because the quality of mains/voltage differs from one house/city/country to the next. Your review was spot on, and it was *I* who said that it had an euphonic effect in my system (speaker based). I guess I should have clarified that my comments are in my speaker based system in terms of imaging/layering.

A friend of mine is a dealer for the Audience and Synergistic lines, he has both the Powercell and T-versions of the Adeptresponse, he feels that the T-versions and the regular Auricaps share similar tonalities and sound-signature, but the Teflons provides just a whole lot "more" of everything. Unfortunately he's in another state so it's not like I can walk into his showroom.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #19 of 19
Dear Sir:  Do you know if this aR4 work for 110v and 220v?  I have the same aR4 U.S. model.  My friend wants to buy it from me to be used in Hong Kong ( 220 v.)   Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back