Resolved: Wacky notifications
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #16 of 16
"Persistent Alerts Enabled" is a new feature that came with the site redesign I take it? It was not checked for me, and I can't imagine why I would want that checked if I also want to receive email notifications, it's completely counter-intuitive. Since we only get a snippet of any post now instead of the whole text of the post in an email, it means I must click the link to go to the site to see the post. I'm most often doing this from the GMail app on my iPhone. When I do that, it launches a browser session inside of the GMail app, which means to go back to any other email I need to click "Done" in the upper left of the browser session inside GMail. Since I'm primarily reading my email and want to get back to the rest of my email and delete the email alert I received about the thread since I got caught up, I'm not going to use that GMail browser session to go read other threads on head-fi.org, especially since I may have other email alerts in my inbox about those other threads which will also be truncated but which I'll want to clear out from my inbox and keeping track of what threads I have both read on the site and correlating that with the truncated notifications in my inbox is a lot to ask, so when I've read one thread I click "Done" to go back to my inbox. Since I didn't have Persistent Alerts Enabled, that meant that I've basically been telling the head-fi.org site to stop sending me email notifications for any other threads that had new posts that I didn't read in that one sub-browser session inside of GMail as soon as I got caught up on the first alert. Which is why this has been such a PITA for me for months.

I get that every damn site on the internet wants to "increase user engagement" and make their sites "sticky" but when you make users jump through this many hoops and put this many layers in place it's just bad design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back