[RESOLVED] Hello, I could use some help determining if a headphone amp is right for me. [RESOLVED]
Apr 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #16 of 28
Well, the vali is an amp. Modi is a DAC.

DAC converts digital to analog, amp amplifies the signal. Your sound card can serve as DAC, though we have no way to know how good it will be. On-board sound tend to be bad.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #17 of 28
  Well, the vali is an amp. Modi is a DAC.

DAC converts digital to analog, amp amplifies the signal. Your sound card can serve as DAC, though we have no way to know how good it will be. On-board sound tend to be bad.

Yes this is how I assumed AMPs and DACs worked in relation to one another. I know my on board Sound Card is miserable which is why I was considering the Magni/Modi stack, in turn its why I was foregoing the Vali; I planned to forego a more expensive soundcard (my case is tight with 2 AMD 7870s and a Noctua cooling the cpu).

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #18 of 28
The Vali is the FOTM right now as a $119 hybrid tube/solid state amp. A lot of people that got it as their first amp upgrade are promoting it.

However, not everyone prefers that tube/solid state sound vs. a straight solid state amp. A hybrid tube/solid state amp is not the same as full tube amp; it adds some tube flavor. The "tube flavor" is actually distortion to the original signal that many find to be musical. However, I own/have owned two hybrid tube/solid state amps, and I prefer the accuracy of a solid state amp.

So could be you might like the Magni better anyway. Without hearing both, you really can't know.

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #19 of 28
The Vali is the FOTM right now as a $119 hybrid tube/solid state amp. A lot of people that got it as their first amp upgrade are promoting it.

However, not everyone prefers that tube/solid state sound vs. a straight solid state amp. A hybrid tube/solid state amp is not the same as full tube amp; it adds some tube flavor. The "tube flavor" is actually distortion to the original signal that many find to be musical. However, I own/have owned two hybrid tube/solid state amps, and I prefer the accuracy of a solid state amp.

So could be you might like the Magni better anyway. Without hearing both, you really can't know.

I appreciate the descriptive response! Unfortunately I don't have the funds to sample both at the moment. Based on your description though I would think a regular solid state amp would be better suited to my ear. So all things factored in I am thinking the Magni/Modi stack is the most suited option for me. I'll just wait a month before making a purchase to allocate some extra funds for the stack.

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #20 of 28
I appreciate the descriptive response! Unfortunately I don't have the funds to sample both at the moment. Based on your description though I would think a regular solid state amp would be better suited to my ear. So all things factored in I am thinking the Magni/Modi stack is the most suited option for me. I'll just wait a month before making a purchase to allocate some extra funds for the stack.

I'm sure you will be fine with the Magni. A few months ago before the Vali came out, most people recommending the Vali on head-fi would have been recommending the Magni :)

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 28
The good news is that Vali is still going to be $120, so you could always pick it up later for a taste of tubes. And Schiit offers the 15-day satisfaction gaurantee.

EDIT: And I doubt that you'll be disappointed with Magni. I've been using my Valhalla with my HD600's, but my Magni sounds really good, too.

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #22 of 28
The good news is that Vali is still going to be $120, so you could always pick it up later for a taste of tubes. And Schiit offers the 15-day satisfaction gaurantee.

EDIT: And I doubt that you'll be disappointed with Magni. I've been using my Valhalla with my HD600's, but my Magni sounds really good, too.

Exactly, in a months time I can afford 200 and be ready to go. If the tubes pique my interest a few months down the road I can certainly make the investment than!

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #23 of 28

Exactly, in a months time I can afford 200 and be ready to go. If the tubes pique my interest a few months down the road I can certainly make the investment than!

What about the headphones to go with the new setup 
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #25 of 28

What about the headphones to go with the new setup 
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

person! You'll bleed my wallet dry by the time I'm 22 lol!
tongue.gif

In time probably, for now I quite like the Thinksound On1s. If something comes along that is considerably nicer I may rethink that though!

I'm 18.. And a student. Priorities, dude... 
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 28
You're welcome, good luck. Be sure to report back once you get the gear 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #28 of 28
  You're welcome, good luck. Be sure to report back once you get the gear 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure thing, will do!

Just got my LOD, Interconnect and a new 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector.

Specs:

Sansa Fuze v2 8GB Black Rockboxed (Lineout enabled)
32GB Sandisk SDHC
Generic LOD
Furutech iD-35L - Interconnect
Furutech iHP-35 - 3.5mm to 3.5mm AUX
JDS Labs CMOYBB V2.03 Headphone Amplifier (Rechargeable  model)
Thinksound On1 - On Ear Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back