Reprieve.org.uk's Music Torture "Hit List"
Feb 14, 2009 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Old Pa

Headphoneus Supremus
According to the WSJ, UK charity Reprieve's zero dB project opposing "torture by music" has published a "hit list" of tunes allegedly played loud at GitMo to break terrorists' will. It includes:

AC/DC ("Hells Bells," "Shoot to Thrill")
Aerosmith
Barney the Dinosaur (theme song)
Bee Gees ("Stayin' Alive")
Britney Spears
Bruce Springsteen ("Born in the USA")
Christina Aguilera ("Dirrty")
David Gray ("Babylon")
Deicide
Don McLean ("American Pie")
Dope ("Die MF Die," "Take Your Best Shot")
Dr. Dre
Drowning Pools ("Bodies")
Eminem ("Kim," "Slim Shady," "White America")
Lil' Kim
Limp Bizkit
Matchbox Twenty ("Gold")
Meat Loaf
Metallica ("Enter Sandman")
Neil Diamond ("America")
Nine Inch Nails ("March of the Pigs," "Mr. Self Destruct")
Prince ("Raspberry Beret")
Queen ("We Are the Champions")
Rage Against the Machine ("Killing in the Name")
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Saliva ("Click Click Boom")
The "Sesame Street" theme song
Tupac ("All Eyes on Me")

I found this list interesting and thought provoking. It gave me more questions than it answered. Is there any requirement that the lyrics be understood? If no particular selection is indicated, will any album or cut serve the purpose? What higher centers of intellectual function are being targeted? Morality? Judgment? Taste? Aestheticism? What are some or all of us doing to ourselves everyday?

One individual is evidently suing the U.S. Government for be subjected to loud music during his detention, which, he said, completely disoriented him, rendered him unable to formulate thoughts, and made him suicidal. Maybe this will bring about recognition of a new cause of action under the negligent/intentional infliction of emotional distress theory for loud car stereos. Discuss.

popcorn.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 8
They probably played whatever they had on their ipods. My understanding (which is limited) of the thing was that it was very loud and round the clock with that being the mode of torture.

I mean the only theme's I can really see are America/USA and a few with lyrics that are a little lewd or whatever.

That said if somebody forced me to listen to david grey over and over again I'd confess to anything they wanted.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by PachmanP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My understanding (which is limited) of the thing was that it was very loud and round the clock with that being the mode of torture.

My understanding from the article is that it was sixteen hours per day max with sound level at OSHA standards. But there's something else here; popular music as an instrument of torture? It's gotten bad, but do we want to consider it an instrument of duress?

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 8
I would propably enjoy my time there if there is Deicide and Metallica playing, but the moment Britney Spears kicks in... I would gladly confess even things I havent done.

"Please, I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!"

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Barney is a dinosaur from our imagination
And when he's tall
he's what we call a dinosaur sensation

Barney's friends are big and small
they come from lots of places
after school they meet to play
and sing with happy faces

Barney shows us lots of things
Like how to play pretend
ABC's, and 123's
And how to be a friend

Barney comes to play with us
Whenever we may need him
Barney can be your friend too
If you just make-believe him!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! !!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back