Replacement Opamps for Arcam CD23?
Nov 19, 2002 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

antness

Member of the Trade: HeadAmp
I looked inside my Arcam CD23 to find pretty cheap OPA2134. I'd like to replace these. I didn't get a chance to measure the voltage on them, but eric343 reports pretty low voltage (i think he said 5-9V) on his CD72. If I find my voltage to be similarly low, which opamp will be the best choice to improve performance over the OPA2134? Must be available as a dual opamp, and in 8-pin SOIC

thanks!

Nov 19, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Does AD8620 work well with the low voltage? I have only tried it with +/- 12V which is a LOT more voltage than the Arcam opamps run on.

aeberbach, the AD823 runs well at that low voltage but I don't like the sound nearly as much as the AD8620 it is much harsher/bright

Nov 19, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 7
I'll try it soon. I paid $1500 for this player, but I saw one online for $1200 (mine was a demo unit, this one online is slightly used, etc). I'm gonna try to get the price matched, if I can't I'll return it and buy the one online. So I gotta wait (unfortunately)
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:31 AM Post #7 of 7
Antness,

Here's the specs on this cheap op amp from Burr Brown's web site: OPA2134 It looks like these need at least 5v to run, so using others shouldn't be a problem, except for the OPA627s. These require at least 12v or so to remain stable. Please measure the voltage on these and let us know what you read!!

These are two channel op amps, so you'll have to stick with 8620s to replace them. You can use two single channel chips on an adaptor board to adapt them to dual channel plug ins.

I just picked up CD23, can you help me with what size those wierd screws on the sides of the unit take?? I can't open it until I find teh right tool and don't want to buy a whole set!! I also want to get inside this thing and replace those op amps with something decent!! Are they soldered in, or sockets??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back