Replacement cable for HE-500?
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DougofTheAbaci

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of HE-500's that are still going strong. The cable I'm currently using, frankly it's annoyingly stiff and I'm looking for a replacement. I had been looking to see if Q-Audio cables were still a thing (I have one on my LCD-2's) but it seems that business folded suddenly last year.

So here's what I'm looking for in a new cable:
  • 6-9 feet in length
  • Very flexible
  • Something that will keep up OK with the HE-500's, a neutral sounder
  • $200 price range, less if I can manage it
Any suggestions would be welcome as it seems like a bunch of the companies I've done business with in the past have moved on.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Nov 25, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 5
How flexible would you say the cable is? My biggest complaint about my current cable is it's rather stiff. Not, you know, as stiff as the stock cable (which is borderline coat hanger wire stiff...) but still way more stiff than the Q-Audio cable I got for my LCD-2's.

lol I feel you there with the stock cable.

The sleeved part is not stiff at all. It was the first thing that stood out when I first handled it. Like "Woah, this is nice for a change".

If you want as soft as possible, it is actually better to look for a cable maker using "Litz" wires specifically such as headphonelounge. I can vouch for the softness of his cables, I just haven't ordered headphone cables from him yet. I only bought an IEM cable so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back