Reorganizing a huge, scattered, mismatched music library.
Feb 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

powerdpower

Head-Fier
Alright, so I have a relatively large music library around 100Gb. Here is the problem, all the files are all over the place. Somewhat organized, but there is a bunch of stuff from, lets say, coldplay in one area, and then a few more coldplay things in other areas. Here is the other problem, there are a great many of these files which are in file formats that I cant use on some of my devices, mainly being itunes files.

So here is what I need help on. What is the best way to go about organizing and normalizing (converting all of the itunes files to either mp3 320 or flac) my music libray? Are there tools that can help with this? Or is my best best to just devote a day or two to just dig around by hand and convert files as I come across them?

I figure this could be helpful to quite a few people, as I know I am not the only one with a messy library of music, so any suggestions could be helpful!

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 2
You don't need to do it all by hand. If the files are tagged with title, artist, and album information, it is easy to reorganize them into folders.

There are many options for software to use. Foobar2000 can move, rename, and convert files. Mp3tag can move and rename them. Both are free. Mp3tag is probably better for moving and renaming the files, and for tagging them if they aren't all tagged properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back