Reminder for U2 fans: Greatest Hits release
Dec 7, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 29
I'm a huge U2 fan and this latest 'Best of' was a big dud for me. I bought it just to have it in my collection.

What were they thinking with those two new songs. 'The Fly' and the original 'Lemon' are much more worthy of those two track spots. Heck, almost any song they recorded in the 90s is more worthy!

Oh, and don't get me started on the terrible remixes. Especially the remixes of the Pop tracks. Grr.

- slightly bitter u2 fan

Dec 7, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #17 of 29
the remixed songs from "pop" on the 1st disc were great. "pop" always seemed unfinished to me, and the treatment they give the music here is just right. unfortunately their new version of "dumb" is overworked. the point of the song is its minimalism, and the new version is just too crowded.

the remixes on disc two were just ok by u2 standards, but great by electronica standards. and "the girl with the spinning head" is right up there with my favorite u2 songs.

Dec 7, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #18 of 29
I stopped my U2 collection at "auchtung baby" so this 2CD collection is useful to fill in some missing pieces from the last few Cds which I would not buy/keep. CD1 is pretty much what I expected for 1990-2000 greatest hits collection........then you have the "club U2" CD2 where we have the extended mixes and dance versions, a couple are OK but most are one listen affairs.

I really don't find U2 songs very good material for extended versions/dance remixes..........I would have thought U2 were above this sort of thing. Madonna yes, U2 no
frown.gif

The first 1980-1990 2CD greatest hits at least offered a 2nd CD with b sides and non album tracks (even if there was not much of value) instead of "club" remixes of U2 songs.

My advice, save money and stick with 1 CD version 1990-2000 hits.

Dec 7, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #19 of 29
I agree, there are very few U2 remixes that I like but they've been doing this since the 80s so I've come to expect them to screw up their own songs. In fact, they seem to take immense pleasure in doing so.

I'm one of the seemingly rare U2 fans that thinks 'Pop' is among t heir best accomplishments. The album did have its production faults but for me this added to it's appeal in a way. For me, the 'Pop' remixes on the 'Best of' had the spirit and life sucked out of them. I mean...'Discotheque' without the BOOM CHAs and all no background noise and chaos! What is the world coming to! The remixed songs became what they were sort of parodying with the entire Pop/Popmart idea in the first place - lifeless, manufactured, shallow music
wink.gif

BTW, I was at both the Boston U2 concerts for the Elevation tour (the concerts they filmed for the DVD). What a show.

- pearle

Dec 7, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

i wish the zoo tv show from sydney was on dvd--although bono looks pretty drunk for the show, the music is great and the video art is fantastic.

I kept looking for the sydney concert to be released on DVD as well until a member (I forget who ) posted a link to a site which listed all sorts of VHS releases that WOULD NOT be released on DVD. Apparently there were originally plans to release Zoo TV on DVD but for some reason they changed their minds.

I was able to find a copy on Laserdisc however, which isn't bad.

Dec 8, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #21 of 29
I love remixes but U2 has never seemed the best group for them. Often they just feel forced. The one exception is the Massive Attack remix of Mysterious Ways. I'm not sure what it is on, but that mix is very impressive indeed. I think it is so good because it doesn't try to force itself into the mold of a traditional clubish remix. Despite this it still isn't great, just not too bad and worth a listen.

Dec 9, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
I kept looking for the sydney concert to be released on DVD as well until a member (I forget who ) posted a link to a site which listed all sorts of VHS releases that WOULD NOT be released on DVD. Apparently there were originally plans to release Zoo TV on DVD but for some reason they changed their minds.

I was able to find a copy on Laserdisc however, which isn't bad.

cool. i have a laserdisc player, and could probably find that for cheap. thanks.

Dec 9, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #24 of 29
IMO all of U2s recordings (maybe besides 'Zooropa') leave much to be desired. It's very disappointing for me since I'm one of those diehard U2 fans.

The interesting fact is that 'Zooropa' is coproduced by Edge, the bands guitarist.

Dec 9, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #25 of 29
I agree. I love U2, but their CDs have traditionally had simply horrible sound quality. The Edge's guitar is by design a bit grating to begin with, so when the CD sounds bad, as well...
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2002 at 12:38 PM Post #26 of 29
Would it be correct to say the CDs have terrible soundstaging? To me it almost sounds like the band is playing in a closet or something
wink.gif
The separation between instruments is terrible. It's almost as if they run everything through a processor that lumps the sound all together.

Dec 9, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I agree. I love U2, but their CDs have traditionally had simply horrible sound quality. The Edge's guitar is by design a bit grating to begin with, so when the CD sounds bad, as well...
frown.gif

I will agree that all U2 Cds I own up to Auchtung Baby have below average sound quality. I have found however that as I upgraded to good upsampling Dac and good power conditioning as well as appling several tweaks to CD, the sound has gotten much better (but so have my other CDs also)

By some cruel twist of fate I find the best sound I have heard for any U2 CD is "club U2" remix CD2 found in the deluxe 1990-2000 set, but as I mentioned before these remixies are not proper treatment for U2 songs.

BTW I was hoping when the 1980-1990 greatest hits set came out the sound would be much better sound for these classics, but there is only slight improvement.

Dec 9, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
By some cruel twist of fate I find the best sound I have heard for any U2 CD is "club U2" remix CD2 found in the deluxe 1990-2000 set, but as I mentioned before these remixies are not proper treatment for U2 songs.

Ahh, maybe their upcoming album (2003 or early 2004) will be a step up in sound quality. I would be very surprised if this happens though.

Peter

Dec 10, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #29 of 29
The sound quality of their cds really deters me from listening to their music. They really need to do something about this issue. You would think a group this size should do better than that?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back