Reliability and build quality of Chinese Vs. Western Amps and DACs? Can you reliably get 15+ years out of a Topping Stack? Or SMSL? Singxer?
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TyTB

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find a solid-state DAC and Amp stack for around $900 USD, with plans to add a power amp in the future (so the headphone amp needs to double as a preamp with a switch for the preamp outputs).

I've identified a few good companies: Schiit, RME, Topping, SMSL, Singxer, etc.

I am very interested in buying an E70 / L70 stack from Topping, but their build quality and reliability seem to be the worst of all brands, and I've heard similar complaints from all of the chinese-production brands. There are MANY threads on MANY different forums and websites talking about chinese-brand audio equipment being DOA, or dying within only a few months or a year.

Now, I want to state that I am not one of those racist guys who just assumes that everything from China is garbage "Because China". I know Chinese manufacturing well, from other aspects of my life, and I know they can absolutely put out some of the best-made stuff in the world, when their factories are contracted to do so.

What I don't know is where domestic brands like Topping, SMSL, Singxer, etc. fall on this spectrum of quality. Are they TRYING to put out reliable products, with 15+ year lifespans, or are they only trying to put out HIGH PERFORMANCE products? Because there's a real difference between those two things...

I am fully expecting to get at least 10, 15+ years out of my stack, because frankly, anything less is absolutely unacceptable, and I would ideally like to get 20+ years, or until the capacitors reach their chemical end.

Do you all think it's reasonable to expect this kind of lifespan from Topping, SMSL, Singxer, etc? If you had to recommend a few $900 DAC/Amp stacks prioritizing reliability, which brands would you recommend? Do you think Schiit is more reliable than these Chinese brands?

Thank you!

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 3
I buy $5,000 a month in audio equipment, and have never seen a Schiit or JDS Labs amplifier or DAC in the "for parts/not working" section of eBay in the last seven years. JDS Labs support is legendary, and if something goes wrong it doesn't cost $60+ to ship your stuff to China. I have a room full of SMSL and Topping stuff also, and they sell a lot of volume, so you'll see more talk on the Internet if someone gets a dud. Run your stuff on a Sine Wave uninterruptible power supply, keep it cool and dry, and it'll last forever. Having a place to ground yourself if static is an issue is about the only other thing that could zap something. I managed two PC repair shops years back, and failure is so rare on electronics. Look at all the old vintage audio gear from decades ago you can still buy today that work.
The things I'd avoid are components that run hot like the Schiit Asgard 3, anything by Gustard or Aune's powerful amplifiers. I've had the E70/L70 and also just put an A70Pro/D70Pro Octo together for a client and pleasantly surprised how cool it ran. It varies by model, I'm on an SMSL DO400 and it's nice and cool, but the Topping A30Pro will heat up a room. Shop by reported running temperatures as much as anything for a really long lived setup.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 3
i think i read now a few times that people had problems with these chinese massmarket dacs or that they went dead not long after gurantee expired

but some people saying it is definitely not statistically correct, it might be interesting to ask some bigger shop owner how much defective returns they get

Users who are viewing this thread

Back