Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
May 15, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #16 of 871
True, there are some hints and some rumors going around right now. These numbers you posted look really really promising, that would cover Tidal territory…

On the other hand there are rumors Apple will only support Hi-FI with their own gear like AirPods, and that would be absolutely ridiculous. Let’s wait what will actually come but I think they will support all headphones and external gear (dac/amp/DAP) in order to stay competitive against Spotify and their upcoming Hi-FI offering.

Competition is really a good thing for us consumers!!

May 15, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #18 of 871
There is more and more evidence that this is really going to happen. I wonder how it will work as until now Apple phones are limited to 24 bit 48 khz yet the Android Apple music apps have evidence of suport for up to 192khz.
Apple phones limited to 24/48? I don’t think so.
May be their video app as videos have 24/48Khz

May 15, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #19 of 871
Apple phones support upto 24/48 but thats via lightning. But I believe this time Apple is not referring to wired in any way. Whatever lossless Apple is referring to is for bluetooth

On second thought, other possibility could be a proprietary codec based on wifi. I mean Apple can do anything, why not a codec that works on wifi rather than bluetooth as wifi supports much more bandwidth for hi-res. And Apple can implement propretary codec on top of wifi like airplay but with phone controls etc

May 16, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #21 of 871
Apple phones limited to 24/48? I don’t think so.
May be their video app as videos have 24/48Khz
To date Apple phones are in fact limited to 24 / 48. It was never clear if that limit was in HW or SW. You can use the iphone as a bit bucket for external DACS and get around those limits. However, it seems they will go past those limits on Android and it is logical that they do so on the iphone.

May 16, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #22 of 871
Apple phones support upto 24/48 but thats via lightning. But I believe this time Apple is not referring to wired in any way. Whatever lossless Apple is referring to is for bluetooth

On second thought, other possibility could be a proprietary codec based on wifi. I mean Apple can do anything, why not a codec that works on wifi rather than bluetooth as wifi supports much more bandwidth for hi-res. And Apple can implement propretary codec on top of wifi like airplay but with phone controls etc

That’s what I was afraid of at first, too. But looking at the main competitor Spotify, they will most likely not limit their HiFi offering to wireless and Apple needs to keep up, don’t they?

On the other hand, Apple might ignore „true audiophiles“ with their wired gear and external dac/amp devices as they are just a niche group. We might see what comes on Tuesday when rumors about an announcement on that day are true.

May 16, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #23 of 871
Kinda hoping it won't be for bluetooth only but I'm lowkey hoping for them to announce a new ipod to go along with this rumoured HiFi stuff.

May 16, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #24 of 871
on another note I am happy with their 256 kbps apple digital matters. dont feel that i am losing much. but the problem is with mixing/recording. I will prefer good recorded 256 kbps aac over poorly recorded hi-res any day (assuming there are 2 different masters). if the core recording is crap no matter whatever lossless/hi-res end result is going to be crap. instead of focusing on technologies on listening part, companies can focus on technolgies that will help audio engineers to create better masters. i listen to 60% indian music and 90% of Indian music have very poor recording.

May 16, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #25 of 871
on another note I am happy with their 256 kbps apple digital matters. dont feel that i am losing much. but the problem is with mixing/recording. I will prefer good recorded 256 kbps aac over poorly recorded hi-res any day (assuming there are 2 different masters). if the core recording is crap no matter whatever lossless/hi-res end result is going to be crap. instead of focusing on technologies on listening part, companies can focus on technolgies that will help audio engineers to create better masters. i listen to 60% indian music and 90% of Indian music have very poor recording.
I couldn’t agree more. I don’t hear a difference between Apple Music and Tidal MQA. But you can’t say that loud around here :dt880smile:

May 16, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #26 of 871
I couldn’t agree more. I don’t hear a difference between Apple Music and Tidal MQA. But you can’t say that loud around here :dt880smile:
For certain genre and recordings it doesn’t matter but if the master is well recorded and is good quality then you will be able to enjoy Hi-res

May 16, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #28 of 871
I read on MacRumors today that it appears the transition to lossless is a done deal.

May 16, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #29 of 871
The way that rumors site is categorizing the move to lossless is the most ridiculous kind of Apple hype. There just aren’t enough Apple products in the pipeline in order to take advantage of lossless as a company-wide initiative.

May 17, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #30 of 871
John Darko’s website is reporting today that hi res may also be included with the anticipated Apple Music change coming as early as the 18th …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back