Rediscovering classical music
Jan 30, 2002 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been experimenting with ways to maximize the sound quality from my recently-purchased Sony D-EJ925. As you may or may not know, many of the new PCDP's seem to have their headphone amp EQ pre-sets biased more for bass response at the expense of the highs.

Probably not a surprise, since many young people are into rap and dance music, and some might even buy decent cans with their new PCDP...

After listening to the 925 with a variety of rock music, I had become somewhat disenchanted with the "laid-back" sound. Not that the sound was bad (it's quite good on some rock recordings), but it lacked something and I often got distortion with the volume graph around 2/3 of the way- unacceptable!

Well, I said, maybe the 925's laid-back approach is not really suited for rock. What about classical? What about jazz? I do have some CD's of that style of music, but always listened to it more as 'background' in my mini system in the office, and didn't really have it "in my ears," so to speak.

I have a few classcial recordings transferred to MiniDisc, and they sound phenomenal with my MZ-R909 and MDR-E888 buds, so I tried out some of these CD's on my 925 - VOILA!!!!! This particular CD player (and, probably, most new ones) are an ideal match for classical recordings.

The brightness of a DDD classical recordings seem to be faithfully preserved on the 925, with or without the dreaded Mega Bass. Of course, I don't "crank it up" with such music, but the highly sensitive 888's make the music come through with amazing clarity. The high end of the 925 headphone amp was dulled with the usual bass-heavy rock CD's I had auditioned, before.

Well, at least for me, I have discovered the true beauty of soothing music and being at peace with a PCDP. I have some Koss KCS-35's coming, and I'm curious to see how well they work with my new-found love.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back