Recording with Rega Planar 3 into my Computer?
Oct 10, 2005 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jeff.h

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at picking up a Rega Planar 3, I used to have a Stanton T80 with Ortofon Concorde Nightclub E. Nothing special really, just to record my vinyls with the stanton was really easy, it had switchable line-in/phono out, and a digital connection. So no pre-amp was needed when ripping vinyls.

With the Rega it will going to be different though, there is the ground cable and it is a dedicated phono turntable. I don't think it will work plugging it directly into an E-MU 1212 soundcard and recording.
I'm wondering will I need a small pre-amp or something else to hook it into before it connects to my computer?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 5
Yes, you will need a phono preamp (also known as a phonostage). There are some cheap ones out there (RadioShack has one for $30), but to start getting quality ones (without major distortions or hum) you need to get to the $100+ range. The Hagerman Bugle for $150 ($100 if you build it yourself) is suppost to be one of the best in its price range (<$150). Another option is to buy a vintage receiver. There are many with good phono stages in them (I don't know much about vintage electronics so I can't help you here). If you go with a vintage receiver hook the inputs on your EMU 1212m to the tape-out or loop-out on the receiver.

Oct 23, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 5
Very useful things to know, thanks!

However I've already decided to take convinience over quality (albeit saying I would never do so when it came to audio equipment), and get another Stanton turntable. They have built-in pre-amps and switchable phono/line-in outputs. Truly a dream for archiving vinyl to computer, plug it in to the back of the soundcard and you are ready to rip!
wink.gif

I'll keep your suggestions in mind though as it's ineveitable that I will be purchasing a higher end TT and proper pre-amp soon enough.

Oct 23, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 5
You're welcome. If you have any more questions to ask about (hi-fi) vinyl listening I'd reccomend Vinyl Asylum at Audio Asylum. There are a lot of very knowledgable people there and an extensive archive of posts which should be able to answer most questions. Anyways, good luck with the archiving.

Oct 23, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff.h
Very useful things to know, thanks!

However I've already decided to take convinience over quality (albeit saying I would never do so when it came to audio equipment), and get another Stanton turntable. They have built-in pre-amps and switchable phono/line-in outputs. Truly a dream for archiving vinyl to computer, plug it in to the back of the soundcard and you are ready to rip!
wink.gif

I'll keep your suggestions in mind though as it's ineveitable that I will be purchasing a higher end TT and proper pre-amp soon enough.

Careful there... if you're like me, you'll find yourself re-ripping with any significant upgrades. After all, that sound is stored 'permanently' on CD-R's and you get to hear the sound of that cartridge & preamp forever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back