Record cleaner suggestions wanted
Mar 3, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Hey Guys,

I hear you all and we are all on the same page.As long as you guys are vinyl lovers you're OK by me.I don't care how you clean your records as long as you still listen to them and don't lock them in a closet someplace.

FCJ,
You are correct about the corporate bungling of the Chess catalog.Did you know they actually sold the building with the original pressing machines and lathes still in it?It was torn down with the machines still bolted to the floors.Many,many music lovers were disappointed and angry over the lack of foresight and understanding of the importance of the history of the music recorded at Chess.There is a picture at the soon to be opened Chicago Blues Museum of Mick Jagger standing in front of the demolished building looking as he were crying.I felt the same way.It was a truly shameful event.

Tuberoller,

The mishandlling of great recorded legacy (Chess is certaintly one, Blue Note from the late 60's onward is another) is truly a shameful event. I bought a lot of vinyl in the 70s/80s from these labels that was horrible--both in remastering and vinyl quality. Unfortunately, no amount of record cleaning could help them. The corporations that bought these labels and botched their genius should be ashamed.

It's pretty ironic to me that is what is supposed to be the twilight of vinyl (not something I agree with, BTW) there is so much good stuff out there, including turntables to play them on as well as machines to clean them on.

Thank you for being such a proponent.

One of my highlights over the past couple of months has been finding a Webern CBS box set from the 1950s, conducted by Robert Craft. It has never been issued on CD, and I doubt it ever will. After cleaning them on my Disc Doctor I played the set and I was amazed how good it sounded, and how amazing the music was. Oh, and BTW--I kept all the records in the set in their original paper sleeves.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #17 of 18
To be honest, my best results have been with the simple radioshack record cleaning kit. You can get it at any of their locations. You simply put a few drops of some liquid into a brush/pad, let it vaporize for about 3 minutes, then clean your records. For me, it has yielded better results than the more expensive options out there. Sometimes simplicity can be a good thing!

Mar 6, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Hey Guys,

I don't care how you clean your records as long as you still listen to them and don't lock them in a closet someplace.

Actually, it's both. The records and I have been locked in the closet together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back