Recommendations needed: Phones for recording/mixing Classical music. ATH-40?
Dec 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sunslight

New Head-Fier
Hi all. New here, this is my 1st post.

I need recommendations for closed-ear headphones for Classical Music (mainly grand piano and choral) for recording and mixing.
It would be nice to have something that I can wear for a while, without too much fatigue. I assume they need to be flat so I can get a good mix.

My budget doesn't allow for high-end. I'm looking at between $100-$200, wanting to keep below $150.  noise cancelling and that sort of thing is not needed.  I would like a detachable cable, though--but not a necessity.

I was thinking about the ATH M50x but read that it boosts the bass, plus the soundstage is too small for Classical.
That left me thinking about the ATH M40.  Price is right, reviews say they are flat, soundstage small, though.
The makers I was thinking of are ATH, Sennheiser, Sony, Beyer.

What do you think?
Choices?

With recording grand piano, then mixing (eq) it is essential that I get a true picture of what's going on.
I wish there are headphones to use for both mixing/monitoring as well as normal listening but I do not know of any.
So, I ask for your help.

Thank you.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 7
  Hi all. New here, this is my 1st post.

I need recommendations for closed-ear headphones for Classical Music (mainly grand piano and choral) for recording and mixing.
It would be nice to have something that I can wear for a while, without too much fatigue. I assume they need to be flat so I can get a good mix.

My budget doesn't allow for high-end. I'm looking at between $100-$200, wanting to keep below $150.  noise cancelling and that sort of thing is not needed.  I would like a detachable cable, though--but not a necessity.

I was thinking about the ATH M50x but read that it boosts the bass, plus the soundstage is too small for Classical.
That left me thinking about the ATH M40.  Price is right, reviews say they are flat, soundstage small, though.
The makers I was thinking of are ATH, Sennheiser, Sony, Beyer.

What do you think?
Choices?

With recording grand piano, then mixing (eq) it is essential that I get a true picture of what's going on.
I wish there are headphones to use for both mixing/monitoring as well as normal listening but I do not know of any.
So, I ask for your help.

Thank you.

You should definitely consider Beyerdynamic DT660!

Here you can read about them:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT660

Best Luck!

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 7
thanks!   

It's really hard to decide.

I will check out what you have recommended.

I've put the AKG K240 MKII  in the running vs the ATH-m40.

After doing more reading (haven't checked your recommendations yet) the AKG seems to have good reviews and I'm okay with the open design.  Much better soundstage for classical.   It will be closer to monitor speakers?  

So, I was leaning towards the AKG until I read that the drivers are only 30mm, while the ATH has 40mm drivers.

Is that a big concern--or, since I'm not looking for a punchy bass with classical music is the driver size not an issue?

Each of those headphones are priced right now at about $100. 

Thanks.

Bob

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 7
yes, if I go for the 240s, I will use a small amp. In fact I was planning on an amp for whatever I get.

My question on the 240s MKII is are they flat and does the drop in size from 40mm drivers of the ATK m40 to 30mm for the AKGs make much of a difference for classical music?

These headphones will be used for tracking as well as mixing to a clean uncolored master.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 7
  yes, if I go for the 240s, I will use a small amp. In fact I was planning on an amp for whatever I get.

My question on the 240s MKII is are they flat and does the drop in size from 40mm drivers of the ATK m40 to 30mm for the AKGs make much of a difference for classical music?

These headphones will be used for tracking as well as mixing to a clean uncolored master.

These cans are entirely different designs and the M40 (and M50 family) is not neutral enough for your intended use--double that for classical music.

Take a look at the closed KRK KNS 8400 and 6400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back